Pacific mackeral

Started by David Hall, August 01, 2015, 04:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I have to ask!
How on earth would you know to do this procedure?  :o
I have been eating fish and wild game my whole life, do my own slaughter, butchering cut  and wrap, seal and freeze make my own sausage too. I do follow the recipes though strictly.
Your down right scary, where did you learn this? I'm never eating bait again!
grandpa used to say if you want to catch fish bite the head off the bait before you go for good luck, so we did!
I don't want no parasites!  ???

swill88

jigmaster501

I spent 14 years as a food safety regulator. Also published a paper titled "Surface Pathogen Elimination Practices for Ready-To-Eat Fishery Products".

I am a Seafood Processing Subject Matter Expert, Manufactured Food Processing Subject Matter Expert, Retail Food Processing Subject Matter Expert, Certified Fisheries Professional, Seafood HACCP Trainer, life long fisherman and someone who has a responsibility of keeping others from acquiring a foodborne illness.

I scare most people when I talk about stuff like this but the science will back me up every time.

I can get into proper procedures for processing game animals too. Been to a fair share of slaughterhouses in my time too.

Chub Mackerel and all mackerels for that matter are excellent table fare. I like mine filleted and baked in tomato sauce with peas and carrots.

David Hall

Quote from: jigmaster501 on August 04, 2015, 11:47:18 PM
I spent 14 years as a food safety regulator. Also published a paper titled "Surface Pathogen Elimination Practices for Ready-To-Eat Fishery Products".

I am a Seafood Processing Subject Matter Expert, Manufactured Food Processing Subject Matter Expert, Retail Food Processing Subject Matter Expert, Certified Fisheries Professional, Seafood HACCP Trainer, life long fisherman and someone who has a responsibility of keeping others from acquiring a foodborne illness.

I scare most people when I talk about stuff like this but the science will back me up every time.

I can get into proper procedures for processing game animals too. Been to a fair share of slaughterhouses in my time too.

Chub Mackerel and all mackerels for that matter are excellent table fare. I like mine filleted and baked in tomato sauce with peas and carrots.
Awesome resource,
However at my age (61) there is no pathogen foolish enough to affect me.  Plus the IRS would never stand still for me getting out of paying another 15 yrs worth of income tax.

jigmaster501

Parasites in many cases are asymptomatic. People shrug it off as gas pains while the parasites are burrowing holes in the lining of your stomach.

Listeria, Salmonella, E Coli, etc. They are becoming more virulent as time goes on.

Also the incubation rates for pathogens can be several days to a week.  Most people think they got sick from the last meal they ate which generally isn't the case.

David Hall