Polishing Brass drag washers

Started by Reel 224, June 12, 2015, 05:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Today I disassembled the main gear and drag stack for my Pflueger Capital 1988 and wanted to show the results of the polishing that I did to the Main gear and washers with JB bore cleaner and my Dremel Tool. I used the 2X4 for a template to hold the washers by counter boring a circle to hold them, a trick I learned from Sal on an earlier post that he had done. It worked perfectly. I'm sorry I didn't take before pictures,but believe me these washers and the internal of the main gear was black with residue from years of neglect. Keep in mind this reel was made in the 50s and probably didn't see service since then.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

reelrepair123

3/4 or 1in. wire wheel in a dremel works wonders, wear safety glasses as the small pieces of wire fly off and imbed them selves into your skin and please not your eyes.  harryk

Reel 224

Quote from: reelrepair123 on June 12, 2015, 09:59:18 PM
3/4 or 1in. wire wheel in a dremel works wonders, wear safety glasses as the small pieces of wire fly off and imbed them selves into your skin and please not your eyes.  harryk

No worries I used my Dremel with a fiber wheal and some JB compound. I always wear safety glasses. I like keeping my eyesight.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

kmstorm64

An old trick for polishing brass in the Service was to use a tent pole and spin the brass in brasso, then spin it on a soft cloth.  using your hands you could do this back forth motion to do the same thing with a wooden dowel.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!