Thought I would clean a few reels and hit a few snags at first.

Started by Rickb, October 20, 2015, 08:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickb

Thought I would clean up six abu's this evening.
Haven't worked on a reel in at least three or four years I guess and so decided to jump in.

Right away I noticed my vision sure hasn't gotten better last few years and it seemed that the "ol thinker " is running at 10% if that  :)
Forgot that Big hands with sausage fingers and small parts don't mix well.LOL especially when you can't see.
    Started to get frustrated in the beginning, thankfully it got better after the first reel.  Just needed to get out lights ,magnifying glasses and tweezers that helped a lot.
  They all were the same reel so it wasn't bad.
What's really nice is they still function properly after I worked on them !!!!! ;D What a shock.... :)
  Now I'm ready to tackle anything!

Tiddlerbasher

Rickb

Now I am confident! Have plenty of reels on hand to tinker with but that was enough for one night.
     Thinking about making a nice sign nothing flamboyant perhaps....
"Expert Reel Repair" I believe that's subtle enough, but I may wait until I work on a few more.
  In the past a time or two, I ended up with reel parts in a box or can when I decided to work on them LOL
and then bought a new reel. ;D
    This may be fun a new hobby. I need to come up with a good story for the wife explaining why I need a bunch of new reels just to take apart.