Triple dog dare ya!!!

Started by BMITCH, January 11, 2014, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Your right sundaytrucka. I was a little aggressive with the dremel. It's all a learning curve. I wasn't sure as to how to go about the spring. I settled with this setup. Next one will be tighter.
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Bob, I'm not criticizing you, just an observation. On the double dogs, the bridge plate carries the stress load, on your third dog the edge of the plate does. It might be ok due to the other two dogs, but I'm not sure.
I guess you'll need to test it and see how it goes...good luck with it, I'm hoping it will work out for you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, I was thinking about that. Here's what I'm gonna do...I'm going to tap out the frame to a 6-32 thread and make the hole in the dog only slightly larger. The tighter tolerance I'm hoping will give less deflection. I'm pretty sure that shear strength won't be the issue. Like youve stated the weak link would be the side plate. Still pretty strong though,but strong enough? I dont know yet. What I'm going to need to do is some stress tests. And don't know but I think it should hold up. Let the testing begin ;D

DaBigOno

That reel is going to sound like a "machine gun".

Very innovative Bob!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

LTM

Bob,

You mentioned using the harness lugs from the Baja Special. I believe you stated that you had to do some grinding to clear the bridge plate or something. To install the lugs in the lugless mode, what did you have to grind and are the lugs still usable?

I beleive you also mentioned a different bearing cap, is this cap a direct replacement or does something else need to be done?

Thanx,

Leo

BMITCH

Leo, the harness lugs are no longer useable. They are basically plugs now. The reason I did this is due to if I just cut existing harness lugs they are plated brass and they would have a gold color if they were used I felt on a jigging reel I didn't need harness lugs. For my style of fishing(mostly tuna on a party boat) I've NEVER used a harness. That's why there is a rail. The new side plate is from the 113H2 model. These have a rubber "O" ring in them. I used this side plate because it looked kinda neat with the tuns engraving on it. Most of these mods like the screws, side plate, handle arm......are all cosmetic. I don't believe that they add any more function or durability to the reel. That is other than the basic "TANK" design that was already out there thanks to SAL. The triple dogs are a matter of preference. I don't like the back play in the handle with the single, double simultaneous or even for that matter the double alternating. Hope that helps.
Bob

LTM

Bob,

Did you use a different bearing cap, if so what type and did you need to modify anything?

Leo

steelfish

what was the ending story of this triple dare?
The Baja Guy

BMITCH

It's still working! Just waitin for tuna jiggin season!  ::) ;)

BMITCH

Ok folks...just to give a quick update on the three dogged nutz reel. I fished it HARD this past fall. Three trips to the canyon and about 8 hours total jigging between those trips. So an effort was made. This thing sounds awesome when reeling...although I couldn't get any tuna love on it. So under stress..I dunno. But what I will say is this...it preformed flawlessly. So I decided to take it apart and install one of Adams kits.this is what it looked like after about 1000 casts.

The black deposits are due to a CF washer under the gear..it was fairly beat up. When upgraded with the drag insert from Adam this reel will be stupid😜

Alto Mare

Very nice, thanks for the report buddy. Toss that carbon fiber for under the gear and replace it with a delrin washer.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Yeah..you got that right..👍🏻

Shark Hunter

Adam's insert will definitely make it stupid sick Bob. ;D
The Delrin for the undergear is standard on all my reels now. They will outlast that cf many times.
Thanks for showing us the Mad Dog! once again.
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Thanks for the update, crazy what can happen to the CF under gear washer...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

I like the Delron undergear washers as a best option as well, but bear in mind the second gen. SS gear sleeves with the ultrathin hardened SS washer just above the gears, should certainly prevent the Dog(s)/ratchet from chewing up the CF washer. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.