ABU-Garcia Ultra Mags

Started by Paul Roberts, January 16, 2023, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I see a fair number of them for sale. Not dirt cheap but not up there with the new reels nowadays. There are some bargains to be had it seems. I think most fishers would rather buy a new reel, much less fix up an old one as they all come in needing some TLC.

Maybe you find one, spiffy it up, and take your brother fishing! When he sees one all shined up he may get all warm and fuzzy toward it. Then you can tell him to shut up, he's lucky to be using a Chinese knock off reel and fishing with you at all! :d

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Paul Roberts on August 23, 2023, 12:48:46 AMI see a fair number of them for sale. Not dirt cheap but not up there with the new reels nowdays. There are some bargains to be had it seems. I think most fishers would rather buy a new reel, much less fix up an old one as they all come in needing some TLC.

Maybe you find one, spiffy it up, and take your brother fishing! When he sees one all shined up he may get all warm and fuzzy toward it. Then you can tell him to shut up, he's lucky to be using a Chinese knock off reel and fishing with you at all! :d
Well, I like the way you think, anyway lol!
But unfortunately, his greed and arrogance, were way more important, than ever having a relationship with me, as we got older!
His loss, not mine, he was a terrible, role model anyway!
I'll just leave it at that!
Think I might start looking for some older Ryobi mag reels, I still have one, hanging around here that I've had forever!
Still performs flawlessly like new!
I acquired a lot of all brand new Ryobi baitcasting/spinning parts, a few years ago!
I haven't even gone through a Portion of them yet, the box wind up, getting wet in an old shed, and been afraid to even look!

Paul Roberts

Ach! Sorry to hear that. Yes, his loss. But yours too. :( Life isn't always right or fair. But we do the best we ca; If we can I suppose.

I've never owned a single Ryobi reel but always liked the looks of them. Probably won't bc... I have enough stuff to fish with, and then some. As to your box in that shed. Reels are meant to get wet. I'll bet they are salvageable. Just a bit more work perhaps?🤞

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Paul Roberts on August 23, 2023, 02:56:39 PMAch! Sorry to hear that. Yes, his loss. But yours too. :( Life isn't always right or fair. But we do the best we ca; If we can I suppose.

I've never owned a single Ryobi reel but always liked the looks of them. Probably won't bc... I have enough stuff to fish with, and then some. As to your box in that shed. Reels are meant to get wet. I'll bet they are salvageable. Just a bit more work perhaps?🤞
It is, what it is, my friend!
As to the box, "that was" in the shed, there were no reels in there , it's strictly packed to the gills, with nothing, but all, new old stock parts! 
Well, I couldn't help myself, so I went out into my other shed at 3am, where I had left the box dry out, months ago, then placed it in an unsealed, contractor bag!
It seems, this was the second soaking, this poor box of parts received!
So, that's probably the reason, how, I wound up acquiring it!
I don't know what the hell is growing in there, but yuck it's a yellow-powdery, looking mildew or mold!  It's growing on all the little tiny, brown paper bags, over the sealed bags, that were holding the parts! Some of the parts are perfectly fine, and some of them have slight oxidation/rust from being damp, unfortunately! Thankfully, most of the paper ID tags in the bags, are still readable! Seems, I have a new project for another day, they need to be rescue soon!

Paul Roberts

Ouch! I lived in sunshiny CO for a bunch of years and got used to arid conditions. Never had to worry about such things. I'm now in PA in a dark dank woods. I haven't felt humidity like this for a long time. Not to mention it seems to rain every other day.