Gifts from El Nino

Started by the rockfish ninja, August 21, 2015, 10:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

This year has been a weird one for me, I've caught more stripers than any other year and I don't even target or want them. Been offered 3 Salmon trips (2 free), passed on all of them (don't like Salmon or trolling), haven't been out on a boat for rockfish all year >:(, and only caught a few from shore this year with all the stripers in the way.

But.............I keep kicking everybody's butt when I do fish, even fishing for bait. Went to Pacifica pier to jig up some jacksmelt for Lingcod bait and El Nino had some pleasant surprises for me & a friend. First off it was non-stop action for 3-4 hours, smelt, anchovy, herring, sand dabs, virtually any small baitfish was coming up on EVERY drop, a flock of several thousand common murre was circling 4 humpback whales that put on a show for the whole pier (folks were cheering like they were rockstars) while slurping up schools of anchovy, and in between all this I was able to load up on Pacific Pompano. Normally they don't come up this far north but thanks to some warmer water I was able to catch enough for a Japanese style fish fry. (rice, seaweed, salad, fried Pompano & a little tare sauce made with fish stock)

Needless to say my friend didn't catch any so I gave him a bunch because I had so many. ;D

picture sharing
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Prof. Salt

Congrats on some great eating fish! Pompano is always a good idea.

Alto Mare

Very cool, you got yourself some good eating fish...enjoy it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i'm thinking ling cod bait!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: alantani on August 22, 2015, 12:57:47 AM
i'm thinking ling cod bait!  ;D
A friend caught a striper that had 5 in it's gut, I get better results with smelt for lings.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 22, 2015, 12:22:52 AM
Very cool, you got yourself some good eating fish...enjoy it!
Absolutely Alto & Prof. Salt, they went straight onto ice as soon as they came over the rail, bright as chrome when they went into the pan, nothing fresher.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

grilled over charcoal, yum!