Stella SW20000PG cracked Worm Shaft

Started by mdabown, August 05, 2015, 08:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdabown

Dears ,
i have an old Stella SW20000FA
UPC 4969363015617
it have a cracked Worm Shaft (part # RD8331) as you can see in the attached
This part is no longer available from the manufacturer. 
Any one have any Ideas How to resolve this problem
Please help

Wolli

let me know in case you have no luck to get one in America. I have one and looks like new.
Also check the Pawl for uneven wear and if the Slide is bended. (parts from SW are not compatible). Main reasons why Worm Shafts in the FA will become damaged. The slide in the FA is not so strong than in the SW. Can bend or break under heavy load. Thats why its not recommended to pimp the drag.

Why happened this not two weeks ago.... ;D My sister travelled for vacations to America and had lot of space in her suitcase...
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Bryan Young

Do you have a local Shimano owned service center for your reel?  My friends fish Stellas and everytime they break something, they will either fix the reel for free or replace it with another Stella.  Have you tried contacting Shimano directly to see what they can do?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mdabown

Quote from: Wolli on August 05, 2015, 12:24:29 PM
let me know in case you have no luck to get one in America. I have one and looks like new.
Also check the Pawl for uneven wear and if the Slide is bended. (parts from SW are not compatible). Main reasons why Worm Shafts in the FA will become damaged. The slide in the FA is not so strong than in the SW. Can bend or break under heavy load. Thats why its not recommended to pimp the drag.

Why happened this not two weeks ago.... ;D My sister travelled for vacations to America and had lot of space in her suitcase...

Thanks for your kind reply
i search everywhere for Worm Shafts with no luck even Shimano reply that "SW20000FA is no longer supported and part is no longer available"
i am willing to get your worm shaft part please tell me how to manage this
i am egyptian and living in Saudi Arabia :)

mdabown

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 05, 2015, 01:24:06 PM
Do you have a local Shimano owned service center for your reel?  My friends fish Stellas and everytime they break something, they will either fix the reel for free or replace it with another Stella.  Have you tried contacting Shimano directly to see what they can do?

Shimano reply that "SW20000FA is no longer supported and part is no longer available"
:-[   :-\

Wolli

Quote from: mdabown on August 06, 2015, 05:43:42 AM

i search everywhere for Worm Shafts with no luck even Shimano reply that "SW20000FA is no longer supported and part is no longer available"

Where in Saudi you are living? Ill contact an old friend in Jeddah and ask for import regulations.
Pls provide me with your email address by PN

Rgds
Wolli

mdabown

Quote from: Wolli on August 06, 2015, 07:02:41 PM
Quote from: mdabown on August 06, 2015, 05:43:42 AM

Where in Saudi you are living? Ill contact an old friend in Jeddah and ask for import regulations.
Pls provide me with your email address by PN

Rgds

i am living in Riyadh
my email is
magdy.dabown@gmail.com
magdy_m@hotmail.com
best regards

Wolli

just for general information

have reply from my friend in Jeddah (manager of a forwarding agency). Due to the small value and non commercial shipment, the Saudi Customs requires for clearance a proforma invoice only. The worm shaft will move next week with DHL to Riyadh.
Detailed informations gets magdy directly.

mdabown

Quote from: Wolli on August 08, 2015, 12:16:08 AM

have reply from my friend in Jeddah (manager of a forwarding agency). Due to the small value and non commercial shipment, the Saudi Customs requires for clearance a proforma invoice only. The worm shaft will move next week with DHL to Riyadh.

Dear wolli,
Good morning
Thanks for your help and support
Really appreciate your efforts
Thanks God  finally today I received  your  package

foakes

This brings up a point --

Amazing to me, that a company would sell a spinning reel in the $1200 to $1300 price range -- then not support the product with a stockpile of parts for more than a few years.

Makes me think twice about spending that kind of money -- for a potential paperweight.

I think Bryan's suggestion of sending it to Shimano was a good one.  Let them take a look -- replace or repair the reel.  I am thinking any good company would do this -- especially in this price range.  Maybe I am wrong -- wouldn't be the first time.  If they would not take care of the problem -- it would be sad, interesting, and telling -- all at the same time.

Okuma -- take note of Shimano Customer No-Service -- and pay attention to opportunities.  The door is wide open..

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

exp2000

Quote from: mdabown on September 16, 2015, 11:19:38 AM
Quote from: Wolli on August 08, 2015, 12:16:08 AM

Dear wolli,
Good morning
Thanks for your help and support
Really appreciate your efforts
Thanks God  finally today I received  your  package

Great effort and well done!
~

exp2000

Quote from: foakes on September 16, 2015, 02:22:24 PM
This brings up a point --

Amazing to me, that a company would sell a spinning reel in the $1200 to $1300 price range -- then not support the product with a stockpile of parts for more than a few years.

Makes me think twice about spending that kind of money -- for a potential paperweight.

I think Bryan's suggestion of sending it to Shimano was a good one.  Let them take a look -- replace or repair the reel.  I am thinking any good company would do this -- especially in this price range.  Maybe I am wrong -- wouldn't be the first time.  If they would not take care of the problem -- it would be sad, interesting, and telling -- all at the same time.

Okuma -- take note of Shimano Customer No-Service -- and pay attention to opportunities.  The door is wide open..

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

Funny how your comments mirror my own in another post:

QuoteAside from servicing a lot of Baitrunners, I really don't see a regular variety of spinning reels. Also where do you draw the line on price? Although they are unrivalled engineering masterpieces, I still cannot bring myself to outlay a cool G on a spinning reel although a new appreciation might alter that some day. So if you were expecting me to wax lyrical about Stellas and Saltigas, I am going to have to disappoint you as will the lack of spare parts in five to ten - NICE paperweight!

Seeing a few desperate owners now as parts have now dried up for the early series. I think this is just criminal for a "Rolls Royce" purchase.
~

johndtuttle

I have been ranting at and roasting Shimano for this issue for some time.

Parts and service are guaranteed to be available for only 5 years after the new version comes out.

This means that Shimano USA will not support the Trinidad in another year or two as the Trinidad A is the current reel.

This is perfectly fine for ~$200 reels built to be economical.

Utterly unacceptable for reels in the $500-1000 range.

This will also begin to highlight the relatively high wear rates of Shimano gear trains in their higher end reels in the future. Many people profess their love for Shimano with those smooth and quiet gears and then look the other way when they get rough....because Shimano hands new sets out like candy.

When replacement gear sets are no longer available people will start to recognize that soft and quiet gears mean they aren't as tough.

foakes

In a way, my opinion is that you are mostly right, John.

However, I must respectfully disagree on one point --

For me, even a $200 reel is not something to have to throw away because a part is no longer available.

One needs to remember -- this is a worm drive gear -- a part designed to wear out quicker than the rest of the reel, along with the pawl -- thus needing periodic replacement.

Look at Penn -- We can buy a level wind worm for a 209, that fits all models -- 60 years after original manufacturing.  A 209 costs about $65 right now -- about $15, 60 years ago, or so.

To me, it isn't really about the cost of the part -- on a $1,200 reel, if the worm part was $40 -- I would be OK with that.

It is the lack of availability, coupled with a disregard for the consumer/angler, that bothers me.

This is also why certain parts across reel platforms within companies -- should be standardized, and fit many different and current reels.  This problem would then be mostly eliminated -- and would cost the manufacturer very little.

Again, just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: foakes on September 16, 2015, 04:59:03 PM
In a way, my opinion is that you are mostly right, John.

However, I must respectfully disagree on one point --

For me, even a $200 reel is not something to have to throw away because a part is no longer available.

One needs to remember -- this is a worm drive gear -- a part designed to wear out quicker than the rest of the reel, along with the pawl -- thus needing periodic replacement.

Look at Penn -- We can buy a level wind worm for a 209, that fits all models -- 60 years after original manufacturing.  A 209 costs about $65 right now -- about $15, 60 years ago, or so.

To me, it isn't really about the cost of the part -- on a $1,200 reel, if the worm part was $40 -- I would be OK with that.

It is the lack of availability, coupled with a disregard for the consumer/angler, that bothers me.

This is also why certain parts across reel platforms within companies -- should be standardized, and fit many different and current reels.  This problem would then be mostly eliminated -- and would cost the manufacturer very little.

Again, just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

No, you are exactly right Fred. Penn has done a remarkable job over the years of "standardizing" parts so that they work across multiple platforms and the issue is the complete lack of same in other reels.

However, things are evolving faster than ever before in fishing reels after decades of relative stasis due to the type of line (mono) being used. Now with Braid entire sizes of reels are being obsoleted and the smaller reels are having their internals radically reconfigured to handle heavier loads than ever before etc.

I just grabbed that number out of thin air. It really is not a desire to promote any sort of "disposable reel" concept, we are just seeing so much innovation and change.

Conversely, at the highest end, there is nothing a 2014 Stella really does that a 2008 models doesn't, so these reels should be supported far longer, imo.