Spooling a JDM

Started by nelz, August 17, 2015, 07:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Does anyone know how to properly tie the line onto this type of spool? I've always used the arbor knot successfully, but it's not working on this spool. That slit has sharp edges and easily cuts the line. I'll be using 15lb mono.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

apply a thin surgical tape around the center of the arbor...

nelz

Thanks, but I was hoping there was a specific way of taking advantage of this unique spool design...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

the penn sd fathom's spool was designed so that you can tie the braided line without using mono backing or putting some type of tape on the arbor so that the probability of line slippage is nil. i have never and will never tie it to the slits of the fathom's arbor because as you mentioned it easily cut your line and that's my concern, especially thin braid lines.

maybe someone else will put their 2 cents in...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

oooops! i re-read your original post and missed "mono" so ignore all my other posts. ::)

Three se7ens

Do you have any more info on that spool?  It looks like it has some special function.

SoCalAngler

IMO use a knot your comfortable with and tie well. If you get to the point where the sharp edges of the slot where you tie the line onto the spool come into factor, like being spooled, you just may want the line to be cut there. If line is still paying out and you only have a few wraps left on the spool your in trouble anyway and there is not much you can do to stop that fish other than button down the drag and hope the line breaks off close to the fish. This is why many people try to use a heavier bottomshot over a lighter topshot/leader, granted sometimes you  may need a heavier leader for abrasion resistance on toothy critters and such.

With strait 15 lb test I would just tie it on and spool it up and call it a day. Now if your getting spooled and you don't want the line to be cut by the sharp edges of the spool's slot where you tie the line you may want to think about a bigger spooled reel for the type of fish your catching. I well know sometimes your targeting a certain sized fish and you get bit by a much bigger fish, it has happened to just about every one at one time or another, but you before you get down to the last few wraps your going to have to make a decision, is this fish going to spool me or will I button down the drag and bust it off.

Edit: I'm sorry I didn't even try to answer your question. When you tie any knot to the line going through such a slot in a spool try not to tighten it down too much or when tightening it down try to avoid the line rubbing the sharp edges. This knot does not need to be super tight, just enough to stop the line from coming undone when spooling up.

nelz

SoCalAngler, I wasn't really thinking about actually getting spooled. I just want to know if this slit feature is for some neat way to attach the line. It just slices the line if I use my usual knot (arbor).

nelz

Quote from: Three se7ens on August 17, 2015, 11:31:23 PM
Do you have any more info on that spool?  It looks like it has some special function.

Actually, that is Daiwa's Centriflex cast control system, if that's what you're asking about.

Rancanfish

I'm no help, but now you have me wondering too.  Nothing logical comes to mind looking at it.  It appears you tie a knot and then lay it in the slot and start wrapping. But then it would come right off.....

Still a good looking reel.  8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

nelz

Actually, that is not my reel, I just used that pic because it shows the slit clearly. Here is my new gem, ;D it's the one on top:

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

maybe to lighten the spool?