SL 50 H vs SL 50 HSD Drag question

Started by kmstorm64, September 02, 2015, 07:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Just saw an ad for the Sealine 40/50 HSD, please look a the link provided and see if maybe any of you can answer the following question:

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=62

Would that drag system work in a standard SL 50 H?  I think the answer will be no, but it is worth asking.  The old 50 H has the super thick drag disks, where as the 50 HSD does not.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

LTM

Excellent question,

Someone here has both reels and I asked if he would check and he said he would when he got a chance. I havent seen any response since I asked however I could be wrong.

Leo

Porthos

Just based on the Super Drag's photo, I'd say "no."

The eared washers have four ears vs the old 50H's two. Also the keyed washer's holes appear "square" pointing to a rectangular gear sleeve as indicated by the schematic on Mike's Reel Repair.

Would the metal washers function if re-worked to fit the old 50H's gear and gear sleeve. Maybe, but I would counter with a "Why go through the hassle if not necessary?" With doubled up and greased HT-100's to match the factory thick washers (I seem to recall only 1 or 2 need to be doubled up), I've hit 18+ lbs of drag from top of spool. That's more than the 15-16lbs max drag from top of spool I'd fish the 50H/300H/350H (all three use the same stack) at as a 50lb max setup.