Sears 6-4378 Trolling Reel

Started by CTone03, September 06, 2015, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTone03

Hello, All!

I am new here, and thought I'd start out with a picture of a beautiful Sears trolling reel:

Does anyone have any history with this thing?  I've had it for years and can only remember fishing it once or twice; I don't even remember how I got it.  I don't know anything about it; its capacity, drag, or even the year it was made.  I was at the local Ganderous Mountainous today checking out new Penns and Shimano's, and this reel is as smooth as any of them.  I respect and appreciate well made things, and my intent is to jazz it up if I can and put it to work!

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

handi2

That one looks like it was made in Japan. Sears did sell many conventional reels that were made by Ocean City.

Anyway that is a cool looking reel.

Now it says Made in the USA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sears-Trolling-Reel-6-4378-with-box-and-papers-/231335930474
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Nice, is it "Ted Williams" approved? :)

CTone03

I saw that ebay reel last night, but since you posted it I looked closer and it says on the box "400 yds 20lb monofilament or 250 yds 27lb Braided "  Also it has "2 1/4 to 1" gear ratio.  Good stuff!

It makes a wonderful ticktickticktick when reeling, and it spins great in freespool.  I've got some Cal's and CorrosionX coming in the mail; when I get ahold of that I'll take it apart and give it some love.

Thanks much!

Penn Chronology

The first reel pictured, by CTone03, is a Japanese reel from the 1960's

The reel and box pictured by handi2 is a True Temper model.

CTone03

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 07, 2015, 05:05:36 AM
The first reel pictured, by CTone03, is a Japanese reel from the 1960's

The reel and box pictured by handi2 is a True Temper model.

Excellent!  Thank you!