a calcutta CTE 200 clicking into gear during mid cast

Started by alantani, September 07, 2015, 04:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

just got this email.  anyone have an idea as to what's going on?  i'm not sure. 

Hello,

I have a Calcutta 200 te. Last night during casts of a 3 ounce cast master the reel disengaged from free spool and lock up. Caused me to have several break offs. Can you help I would like to send it in to you.  Thanks!

my reply so far......

i can do a standard service, but sometimes it's just gremlins in the reel that make it do that.  there are return springs that can be changed, as well as kick levers.  did anyone ever open up the reel before this?  is there a power handle that you added (that is a common cause).  here is the schematic for the TE 200.  when you cast, do you leave your thumb on the thumb bar and keep pressure on it?

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_CTE200.pdf

the best thing would be to contact shimano at 877-577-0600 and see what they say first.  it might be a known issue,  maybe they can take a look first.  i can always do the drag upgrade later. if you want me to take a look at it, send it out anytime!  thanks!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

mine used to do that but it was fault of the power handle I installed on it.

there are some tricks to prevent this from happening.
one is to be sure that the handle knob is on the lower position and when you cast dont engage the free-spool lever
another is to keep the thumb on the thumb bar and keep the pressure all the way during the cast.

but from time to time if you dont keep attention on any of those tips you will have problems with your reel spool engaging at mid-cast.

I actually went back to the stock double paddle handle and get the fish with the rod pump-lift action instead of hauing the fish in a tug war gears vs fish.

The Baja Guy

alantani

yeah, i was thinking that he had a power handle as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Yep, it happens on my 300TE and 400TE when slinging baits out with my power handle.
I use the finger on the thumb bar method as I don't remember to have the counter weight in its lowest position all the time.
Solid advice,
Dom

exp2000

Quote from: alantani on September 07, 2015, 04:45:23 PM
just got this email.  anyone have an idea as to what's going on?  i'm not sure. 

Hello,

I have a Calcutta 200 te. Last night during casts of a 3 ounce cast master the reel disengaged from free spool and lock up. Caused me to have several break offs. Can you help I would like to send it in to you.  Thanks!

Since the clutch trip mechanism is actuated by handle rotation there are only two possibilities that I can see

1. The handle is moving during the cast as you suggested.

2. The clutch mechanism is not completing it's full travel and comes to rest in an unstable position.

~