Torium 50

Started by handi2, August 24, 2015, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Don't you just love charter boat reels..!! First one of 6...

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

i've got a wet tumbler with stainless steel pins for cleaning brass.  the dishwasher did not work.  i wonder if the tumbler would.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

That will buff right out! ;D

To be honest, I am always struck by how little knowledge of rods and reels most Charter Boat guys have...goes to show you just about anything will work.

conchydong

John, I think most of the charter boat guys don't have the time or energy to maintain reels like many of us. They use and abuse them until they fail and at that time they send them in for service.

Jeri

Sorry for a slight 'hijack', but this brings on a whole new question.

Folks come to the shop/workshop asking about the price of a 'service' of the reel in their hand. You quote them a standard, clean, oil and grease price, which through experience you have developed in your local market.

Then you get a reel like the one above, or even worst, how do you price that??

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

handi2

Quote from: Jeri on August 25, 2015, 07:08:23 AM
Sorry for a slight 'hijack', but this brings on a whole new question.

Folks come to the shop/workshop asking about the price of a 'service' of the reel in their hand. You quote them a standard, clean, oil and grease price, which through experience you have developed in your local market.

Then you get a reel like the one above, or even worst, how do you price that??

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

I keep pictures for them to see and also put the bad bearings in a plastic bag. It really doesn't take too much longer when they come in like this.

I have plenty of Torium pictures like this one but this one has been the worse.

Luckily he kept pouring the oil to it to keep it working. Yes it was working..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: conchydong on August 25, 2015, 02:02:06 AM
John, I think most of the charter boat guys don't have the time or energy to maintain reels like many of us. They use and abuse them until they fail and at that time they send them in for service.

I feel 'ya.

But this isn't a pile of 50 Penn Squidders on old glass sticks used as loaners for bottom fish...this is a $500 reel that obviously came off a high end charter. Its a quality tool that should be taken care of better.

Bryan Young

I'm all good with it...I hate working on messy reels like working on greasy cars, but a job needs to be done.

If it wasn't for some of these reels, I would not be working on reels at all, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to take a mess and make it into a fine fishing machine again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 25, 2015, 10:26:12 PM

I feel 'ya.

But this isn't a pile of 50 Penn Squidders on old glass sticks used as loaners for bottom fish...this is a $500 reel that obviously came off a high end charter. Its a quality tool that should be taken care of better.

I run into the same types of cases of used and abused charter boat reels (mostly high end 80s and 130s).  They always give you the worse ones first.  The nice thing is if you can get them to give you all of their reels, and then get them on a regular (like annual) scheduel..it saves them money, and you time, plus the gear will function as intended when it counts (like when a tournament winning marlin is on the end of the line).  Every boat/operation has different circumstances though.  For instance, there are a couple of local boats that are able to buy new reels in bulk at greatly discounted rates, so it really is more financially feasable for them to run the reels into the ground, and then replace with new.  Reminds me..I should go talk to those guys and see if they want to sell me the boxes of parts reels (large senators).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I hope you are getting paid well for that Keith.
I will only service a reel like that if I bought it for myself.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

On one hand these guys are running a tough business and have their hands full. On the other hand, you would think that they would want their gear to be properly maintained in order to prevent unnecessary costs and maintain a good reputation.

I think in that business, it's a combination of excessive use, too many things to deal with all at once, and not having time to take a reel out of circulation. Remind me never to buy a boat from a charter guy.

MarkT

I feel 'ya.

I don't think a Torium 50 was a $500 reel, more like $280. But the point is still valid.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarkT on August 27, 2015, 02:32:07 AM

I feel 'ya.

I don't think a Torium 50 was a $500 reel, more like $280. But the point is still valid.

How can you tell the difference between a Trinidad and a Torium lol j/k....:D

I read it as Trini  :P