How Do You Measure Drag Preset?

Started by Paddler, September 03, 2015, 04:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddler

I reviewed the video on Charkbait's website in which Mark demonstrates how to set the drags on LD reels.  They clamped to reel in a vise and pulled fast.  This gives different readings, sometimes very different, from gradually increasing force until the spool starts to move.  Both these techniques give different results from measuring drag with the reel on a rod and the rod loaded while pulling with a spring scale.  I imagine that an all roller rod would give slightly different results from one with standard guides.  The way Charkbait shows seems to introduce a fair amount of variability because of differences in how fast and hard one pulls.  Ideally, a very consistent technique should be used that eliminates operator variables.  How does everybody do this?

Paddler

Thanks.  He recommends 4MPH pull rate, which I've not seen before and seems a bit arbitrary.  He also notes what I mention, that measured drag is very technique dependent.  Drags set at 4MPH will be much heavier at tuna trolling speed of 7MPH plus the speed of the fish.  It seems that pulling slowly is much more repeatable between individuals.  It would just mean using a lower measured drag setting.

Paddler

It's really just about being able to compare drag numbers.  On my LDs, I've set them to 12# at strike, pulling slowly.  That can give readings on 20# (up to 26#) if measured the way that the Charkbait video shows it.  Not a big deal, but I just want to not have fish break off when it first hits.  Rating drag performance doesn't seem very scientific because of a lack of standardization.

Reel 224

How can we apply that to a star drag system? I was always under the impression that the drag on a star drag system should be 1/3 of the total line weight. What I have now on my reel is 50# Braid and the drag is at 15# about 1/3. And on my lever drag system I have 30# Braid with a strike setting of 10# and full is around 15#.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paddler

If using braid with a mono topshot you should test your actual breaking strength.  When I did this with a variety of knots using 65# Tuf Line and 50# BG, I consistently had the braid break at under 40#.  That experience is what led to my decision to go with straight mono for my trolling setups.  I had some of my knots break with 50# braid break at 34#, so 1/3 would be 11# at strike.

Reel 224

I honestly haven't found a problem with the braid that I use, I have had loops break when cranking the drag beyond line weight but never a connection between braid and mono or FC. I use only the Alberto knot to connect braid to mono of FC, it hasn't failed me yet.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Paddler

Quote from: MeL B on September 04, 2015, 12:54:28 AM
Paddler,

i just go to this site;

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

started fishing seriously 2-3 yrs ago and knew nil. i bought fireline multi-filament and was disappointed because like you said some multi-filaments break before mono. then switched to power pro and never had that happen again. now i'm using izorline brutally strong n prospec straight, seaguar threadlock and pro challenger's hollow core. i kinda like pro challenger because it  was easier for me to make a loop on a 40 lb hollow compared to JB's 60 80 and 100. maybe it was just a case of different days. here's a photo of the loops;

btw back then my failures were at the connections probably because i didn't have the patience i have now, too excited! ::)

Alan C. i want your hollow core in 60lb camouflaged...

Thanks, Mel.  For the type of fishing I do, ie, trolling for albacore in the PNW, mono has several advantages.  Simplicity, elasticity, easier to deal with crossed lines, tangles, won't cut you like braid, less expensive, etc.  I tied lots of knots with both Power Pro and Tuf Line, had broken string all over my house.  The results convinced me that for my type of fishing, mono is superior.  If I do a long range trip I'll reconsider, but for now mono does everything I need.

Paddler

Quote from: MeL B on September 04, 2015, 03:10:12 AM
please don't get me wrong i still use all mono for my 100 140 500 112H 113H 750SS 706Z P220F and Oceanus 40. :)

Braid has it's place and is very popular.  I don't much care for it, and only use it for vertical presentations like rockfish, etc.  It's interesting to me that none of the guys on Wicked Tuna use braid.  All of them use big #### reels and heavy mono.  I wish I knew why.