Sharpening Knives -- Best so Far

Started by foakes, August 31, 2015, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

One thing that has really helped is keeping a steel handy and giving a couple of swipes before and after each use.  The Henkels especially need the stone far less frequently if I use the steel with each use.  The Dexters are much softer, dull quicker, but also take an edge much faster than the stainless.

I have both types & brands of knives.  On one of the cooking shows--I believe it was Alton Brown and many years ago--he said that even professional chefs need their knives sharpened only ONCE per year.  But he did say that you use the sharpening steel--which is actually not a sharpener, but a honer--You use the steel EVERY time before you use the knife.  Using the steel really makes a difference.  I do not follow the chef's advice and I only use my knifes in my home and I sharpen them probably 2 to 3 times per year.  I do use the steel fairly often and it does make a difference. 
TomT

Tiddlerbasher

A 'so called' sharpening steel in the wrong hands can ruin a fine knife. I have never really been happy using one. I use a 5000 grit ceramic cone (angled at 12 degrees to the vertical). Simply hold the blade vertical and draw back on the cone. All my kitchen knives are ground at 12 degrees. For field knives (20 degrees) I use a leather strop (glued to mdf). I 're-shape' my blades 1 or 2 times a year using a belt sander (2000 grit) or Lansky.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Hey Joe good to have you back.  How are you feeling?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Great Video Dominick.
I used the Henkle steel on my fillet knife after every fish cutting at the beach.
It wouldn't do the paper cut like the Kramer, but it keeps it sharp enough to do some damage.
Cutting through a 10 lb fish backbone is easy with a sharp knife.
Life is Good!

swill88

floating doc

I bought the spyderco kit. It seems to work quite well, so far.

I mainly want to keep my kitchen knives sharp. It's all on me; my wife only uses them and washes them. If I'm home more, they stay sharper since I will give them a hone on the steel before every use, but  I work lots of hours, so the knives need more of my attention.

They are a mix of quality. I have both forged and stamped stainless steel K Sabatier (French brand) from their outlet on I95 in S Carolina, an old wood handle set of Brazilian made JA Henckels from a garage sale, my latest buy which is a Dexter DuoGlide 40013, plus some unlabelled knives ranging from surprisingly good to poor quality. I'm in the process of weeding out the junk.

The K Sabatier knives are fine quality, and are reasonably priced at the outlet. My wife bought me a forged blade fillet knife from the outlet last year for my birthday. Thirteen months later, I haven't tried it out yet :(.

The Henckels are pretty good, but I have to oil the handles regularly. The wood on the ones that get the most use is beginning to dry out pretty badly.

I really like the new Dexter. I don't know if it's a really high quality knife, but it takes an edge really well. I haven't had it long enough to know how it's going to hold up. It's an innovative design and great to work with. It's specially designed for people with arthritis or repetitive motion syndrome/carpal tunnel syndrome.

The Dexter is about half price at this site: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dexter-russell-40013-duo-glide-5-utility-knife/21040013.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CJvBrYykxcgCFU6PHwodINYESg

Central Florida

Shark Hunter

It took me a little bit to find this thread again.
I finally got around to buying me a sander,
The Dremel can only do so much, this is no precision instrument, but I think it will fit my needs.
My main problem is sanding down thin pieces of titanium or stainless for springs.
This made a two hour job into 15 minutes.
There is seven perfect stainless dog springs made from windshield wiper inserts.
50 more and it will be paid for. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Daron,
Now that looks like a great tool to have on the bench.  

I am thinking about taking Dwight's recommendation and purchasing this one...

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-14/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

He uses it alot on his custom rod work.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 02, 2016, 03:42:55 PM
Daron,
Now that looks like a great tool to have on the bench. 

I am thinking about taking Dwight'so recommendation and purchasing this one...

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-14/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

He uses it alot on his custom rod work.

I could see where that would be handy for grinding down the guide feet.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Quote from: sdlehr on January 02, 2016, 05:09:24 AM
Windshield wiper inserts? Do tell!
Sid,
Look in General Questions and Troubleshooting, Tip of the day, Page 9.
Joe,
I was looking at the sander you bought and The thin belt would take me forever to sand down a long thin piece of stainless.
I can make six or seven at a time with the 4" belt.
The sander I bought was on red tag last week with a 20% off coupon, I got it for $65.
It works great, but looks dangerous with no guards on it.
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

The Worksharp is a great little tool - but it is very expensive on belts (at least in the UK :()
I made a simple jig to fit a 1x30 belt sander - much cheaper to run particularly with Trizact belts (they are the dogs danglers).
There are plenty of Youtube vids that show how. But do use the Trizact belts they are so much better than the cheap ones :)

sdlehr

Sid,
Look in General Questions and Troubleshooting, Tip of the day, Page 9.[/quote]

Thanks!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Ron Jones

My wife bought me the basic worksharp last Christmas, and after watching lots of videos, and screwing up the points of a couple cheap knives, I have gotten wicked good with it (I think that's the word you over on the wrong coast use.) The secret is consistency, as it is with everything else. Raise a consistent burr on one side, and work it over to the other, then switch gritts.

Also, frequency, it is so much easier to hone an edge every couple of days than to start from scratch once every month. Knife always cuts well that way also.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"