PENN FATHOM FTH25N - CLUTCH RELEASE LEVER

Started by Cor, June 11, 2016, 06:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

There are some reels I've just not had much pleasure from, this is one of them. ???

I recently noticed a lot of "slop" in the clutch release mechanism and upon inspection saw the retaining screw ( 22 1188690 22-20 Eccentric Screw)  was loose, an easy fix.   However after 2 hours of fishing the next day, same thing happened again, requiring further investigation.

The problem is that there is some play between the fitting of the aluminium clutch lever "square"  slot and the SS cam (19 1188691 19-20 Eccentric) and only a smallish screw holding the two together.   The movement quickly works the screw loose, which I have now tightened with some Locktite but my little bit of engineering mind tells me this is no lasting solution because the play will quickly increase as the leverages are significant and will damage and wear out the aluminium "square" slot.   The Locktite only keeps the screw from falling out but you can't tighten it adequately in the aluminium as the thread will break!

My opinion is that this thing is badly designed and or manufactured, there is too much stress on the aluminium to SS point because of inter alia a very strong spring and because I spin fish, requiring 100's of casts per day, this will wear out quickly.

So what is a permanent or better fix?   I do not have the ability to manufacture a completely new SS clutch lever.
I was thinking of trying to fit a serrated washer between the screw and the cam, but not sure if that will work.

The "damage" you see to the cam I caused by trying to expand the metal slightly with a punch, it helped a bit. ;D

Any suggestions?

Cornelis

johndtuttle

The play may have been from the screw loosening causing enough loss of tolerance to lead to the poor fit.

Get fresh parts from Penn. Put the screw on tight with blue loctite and you probably will have no further trouble.

Rivverrat

That lever should not have that shiny circle of wear on it. Do you have the plastic bushing that fits into the side plate between the the lever & into side plate ?  Also the washer that goes between the eccentric & inside of the side plate ?  Washer part #1242792  Bushing part #1188692.  These 2 parts will hopefully get you up & running proper.

Your picture shows galling which comes from two unlubed surfaces with high friction coefficient moving against each other. Something like aluminum.

Careful when ordering any parts for this reel some have gone through 3 -4 revisions. Penn is your best bet....Jeff

Rivverrat

Here's what it should look like. Oh you better get a new eccentric also....you've beat the brakes off that one. Pt. #1188691.   Get a new lever to.
You can clearly see the washer below the eccentric & the bushing on the outside of frame....Jeff

Cor

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 12, 2016, 04:51:35 AM
That lever should not have that shiny circle of wear on it. Do you have the plastic bushing that fits into the side plate between the the lever & into side plate ?  Also the washer that goes between the eccentric & inside of the side plate ?  Washer part #1242792  Bushing part #1188692.  These 2 parts will hopefully get you up & running proper.

Your picture shows galling which comes from two unlubed surfaces with high friction coefficient moving against each other. Something like aluminum.

Careful when ordering any parts for this reel some have gone through 3 -4 revisions. Penn is your best bet....Jeff

Yes all the parts are where they should be and all show some wear, the plastic bush and washer #### well.   I bought the reel 18-May-13 and have not used it all that much  (this is a very relative statement as my not much means a lot for many people)

Parts I would buy from Jarden Corp who are the agents in S.A.

I regularly service and lube my reels and it is not probable that the parts were dry, but I guess everything is possible.   But then the aluminum part would have been worn like that by the plastic bush?

The anodising that has worn away looks much worse then it really is, I did not find that unusual considering the number of casts the reel has already made.

I have already enquired about the availability of the parts :'(

Thanks for the comments.

PS  all reels I use eventually get problems with the clutch mechanism wearing.
Cornelis

Rivverrat

No way the lever should have that amount of wear with bushing in place. There is a chance you have a bad casting. However that lever has to be making contact with something other than it's bushing to have all anodizing worn off in a circle like that.

Cor

If I need to open it again I'll send the photo.
Cornelis

Rivverrat

If it's not much problem please do. It will help me & others see what may or may not be going on. Really like to help you with this & possibly learn something from it....Jeff

boon

It would be ugly but might work:
I would drill through the clutch lever, then use a longer stainless steel bolt through the entire assembly, capped with both a spring washer and a nylock acorn nut. Then I'd torque the hell out of it, as long as the lever still moved smoothly.

Cor

Quote from: boon on June 12, 2016, 09:43:32 PM
It would be ugly but might work:
I would drill through the clutch lever, then use a longer stainless steel bolt through the entire assembly, capped with both a spring washer and a nylock acorn nut. Then I'd torque the hell out of it, as long as the lever still moved smoothly.
I have been thinking about tapping a longer or larger bolt thread but don't think it will work.

Your idea of going right through seems viable!  Its about functionality not aesthetics to me.
Cornelis

Rivverrat

Cor

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 13, 2016, 10:39:11 PM
Wow!  
You are now on your own.
LOL
I don't have the belief that the new parts will fix the problem permanently and secondly, the Clutch lever is not available from the agent currently.   My "belief" is based on previous bad experiences with these reels.   If all the parts were available I would probably have bought them as that is the easiest and they were not too expensive, but that was not to be.

But don't worry, I have not yet done the deed :) :) :)

Hopefully someone has a better and less invasive suggestion.

Cornelis

Rivverrat

OK....I now have a better understanding of your situation. I have 3 of these reels & while they have not been completely trouble free I've got good service out of them.

I really began to like them a lot when I finally realized my expectations exceeded what they were capable of. As some here were trying to tell me.
Im now fishing all 3 of mine with 40 lb. line & have been very happy with them.
I've replaced the gears in one of them that has seen some very hard use & just recently replaced the gears in another with a stainless gear set.

There can be issue with the eccentric pin coming out of its slot in the eccentric jack. But most every case of this is I believe from not rocking or rotatating the spool backwards prior to throwing the lever into free spool. Which has to be done on these reels especially  if there is tension on the line from bait or heavy lure.

Your issue is unique. If all parts are there, in there proper place & none are worn out. You have a sideplate or lever, something just might have left the factory out of specs.

It's hard to say with out seeing all of it. The wear on the lever I still say shouldn't be there.Or is the bushing on the lever in your pic ?
Have you thought much about sending it back to Penn....Jeff