Long Beach Click Tongue Question.

Started by 49Freak, June 16, 2016, 04:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49Freak

Any opinions on the original peened click tongue as opposed to the newer style with a C clip? Not really concerned with keeping it period correct, but in cleaning this one up the brass click tongue is almost completely worn away and some enterprising soul put a blob of solder on it to hold things in place. I need to order a replacement and wondered if anyone had a preference on these as Pennparts offers both. Thanks, John.

foakes

They both work well enough, equally.

For how often a clicker needs to be replaced (If properly serviced and lubed, likely seldom) -- I would use either.

Yes, a clicker is easier to replace with a "C" clip -- but either is good, just personal preference, IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I would remove the old clicker first because that is the tricky part.  From the inside, grind it off with a dremel without heating up the bakelite side plate.  If you hang around on a fishing pier long enough you will see/hear someone casting and retrieving with the clicker on.  It's most common with rentals where the clicker is used in lieu of the cast control knob.  The clicker can last for a lifetime or it can be ruined with a few minutes of abuse.
-steve

49Freak

Thanks Fred and Steve. Good point about leaving the clicker on all the time, I didn't think of that. This could have been a rental, hard to say as it came to me the way most of them do; put the word out you're looking for something and eventually they start showing up. Anyway, think I'll just stick with the original peened version as it's been fine on a bazillion reels so far.
Thanks again,
               John