drag washer kit - daiwa sealine 900/910

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

update 10/16/2012 - you now get 4 metal washers, not 5.  you have to reuse one of the thick original metal washers. 

this is the new 5-stack drag washer kit for the daiwa sealine 900 and 910's.  with these new drags, the reel will now deliver a smooth easy 30#'s of drag, maybe even 35#'s.  the stock daiwa drag washers deliver a sticky 20#'s of drag.  if you try to use the original thick metal drag washers with the carbon fiber drag washers, you still need 5 drag washers inside the main gear, but you need to double up the bottom and middle pair.  this functional stack of three drag washers will give you only 20#'s of drag.  

the metal washers are lazer cut from approx 0.045" stainless steel.  the washer under the main gear is a penn ht-100 #6-114 that was cut down to fit under the main gear.  the five drag washers inside the main gear are penn ht-100 #6-116's.  i can ship them out pregreased or dry.  the cost is $25 with domestic shipping included.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

QuoteAlan, I am going through my reels this winter, finally. I have a laundry list of parts I want from you. Before I email it with some $$, I want to do the 5 drag stack for 2 Daiwa 600h's. I took the reel apart and the drag washers measure 29.6mm OD, 16.3mm ID, 2 mm thick.  They are a little smaller than the 900's and a little bigger than the 400's. They equate to penn #6-115 or #6-895. I can measure the metal washers and the small one under the gear. Can you get new metal washers made if supply the dim's?? I would like the "kit" that you have for the 900 reel, only sized for my 2 600 reels.

yeah, you know, we talked about that one.  what i found with the 600 series is that you get 20 to 22 pounds of drag with the doubled up ht-100's.  i was thinking that i could have the guys cut out a set of metal washers, but it would cost me about $500 for 300 keyed washers and 200 slotted (eared) washers.  the benefit for the 900 series is HUGE.  the benefit for the 600 series is marginal.  i think most guys would not need more than 20#'s of drag, so i decided against it.  alan

alantani

Quote from: rb26z32 on March 31, 2009, 06:08:22 PM
Hi Alan, I recieved the parts you sent me for my 900h.  I can definately feel the difference.  However, I noticed that in order to get lots of drag pressure, I had to really crank down on the star and almost bottom it out.  So I replaced your top thin metal washer with one of the old 900h thick washers.  The stack still comfortably fit in the side plate, and man oh man, what a huge difference!  I couldn't be happier, and the handle is awesome.  Thanks Alan, Charlie ;D

charlie, i need you to do me a favor.  i need your address again.  i am going to send you a belleville washer. to replace that penn metal washer you installed.  i need you to tell me if it fits.  i may have overlooked something critical......  alan

alantani

Alan, I am in the UK. I have a Sealine 900 (not the later 900h), and would like to beef up the drag with one of your kits. I see from one reply to your tutorial that one customer replaced the top metal washer with one of the originals. Did you change your replacement stack in light of that feedback?  I also have two reels that I would like to improve the drag on: a Senator 114 and an Ambassadeur BG 7000 HSN. I put the same number of carbonex washers in the 7000 but it made no real difference - it has a pathetically weak drag, which a 5lb cod can pull line off.  Thanks, Tim.

hi, tim!!!!!  if you can give me an address i can send out the drag kit.  i had not mentioned that, but will.  thanks!  for the ambassaduer, is there any chance that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?  alan

alantani

Dear Alan, I received the Daiwa 900 drag set today. I must admit that I am rather disappointed with the quality of the steel washers you sent, as they all have rough edges both on the outside and inside edges where stamped out. Not only that, one of the lugged washers has been stamped out off-centre, which is clearly useless. The rough edges would damage the carbon fibre washers. I cant use the set, so would like a return and refund.  Regards, Tim  

hi, tim!  i send a refund via paypal.  

sorry you weren't happy with them.  i had a friend cut them out with a laser cutter.  it's really the best that i could do.  the washers were made of stainless steel.  i know the edges are sharp, but taking the time to round them out would not be possible while still keeping the price down.  with materials and shop time, the actual cost was $1 each and that's what i charge.  the rest of the cost is the actual cost of the drag washers plus shipping.  i am not actully making any money on this at all.  nor was it my intention to.  you may not know this (and it may not matter), but i'm actually just a pharmacist and this is a hobby, not a business.  good thing, because no one would ever be able to make a living from reel repair!  if i could make the suggestion, please keep the washers with my compliments.  it's not really worth the trouble to ship back.  

you should have three metal washers left from your original set.  if you don't mind taking the time, try installing the carbon fiber washers and use the three metal washers that you already have.  the small carbon fiber washer will of course go underneath the main gear.  then you can stack two carbon fiber washers inside the main gear, then a keyed metal washer, then two carbon fiber washers, the a slotted metal washer, then a single carbon fiber drag washer, then the last keyed metal washer.  this functional "3+1" drag stack should give you 20#'s of drag.  if you find that 20#'s not adequate, then consider using a combination of my metal washers and yours to get a functional "5+1" drag stack.  if you can get a working combination, you should be able to get up to 35#'s of drag.  good luck!  alan

alantani

ok, guys, they're all gone.  shall i see about getting another couple of hundred made up?

Stress

Hello Alan
do you still have these drag kits for sale?
Thank you,
George

alantani

the metal washers are all cut.  that was a month ago.  they have to be deburred and then matched up with penn carbon fiber drag washers.  sorry, just been buried with other stuff.  don't know when i'll get to it.  stand by........

sailfishing

Hello,
Are you always in waiting for receice Drags ?
Great thks for what you do
Ludovic

alantani

sorry, i've GOT to finish the reels that were shipped in last month.  then i'll get all the metal washers deburred.  it take quite a while to do that.  since i do not have a tumbler, i have to deburr them by hand.  alan

sailfishing

Enjoy to read to you.
If there is some little finish work, I can do it imself, no problem ( all fisherman are handyman ;-))

The season fishing have begin and your customisation 900h could help me for catch some big fish (I wish) , so , don't forget me  (I'm in a hurry )

Ludovic

Fishermans Paradise

alan,

I'd be interested in a metal and fiber washer set for the 900h, if you still have any available, and I am not in any rush

Lee

rcantrell

Do you have any of the drag kits available? I recently purchased a 900H and would like to do the upgrade. I also need to get the handle.

Thanks

alantani

yes, just cut some more drag washers.  send me a pm with your address.  thanks!  alan

t0kic0

Hi Alan

I am a newbie to the forum but absolutly loving all the tips available on this forum all very usefull...  :) :) :)

I was wondering if you able to send me a couple of these 900H carbon kits to New Zealand and if so how much will shipping cost?

We do a great deal of deep sea bass fishing down here and we need some serious shoes to stop these buggers especially when you hook more than two 100lb pounders on one rig.   :D :D

Regards.