jigmaster gets harder to turn when the left side spool bearing is fully tightene

Started by fishhawk, September 09, 2015, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on September 09, 2015, 01:47:21 PM
Try packing the bearings with the heaviest marine grease or marine wheel bearing grease you can find. That should slow it down a bit.

You beat me to this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

STP is way to slick. You need grease not oil. Clean out the bearings & pack them with a heavy marine grease. You just seem to want to do it your way. You ask for advice but you want to do it your way anyway. Why do you ask for advice?? ??? The people on this forum are here to help people that want help not to bicker with someone who just wants to throw up problems & doesn't really want help, only attention. You've gotten remedies but you don't want to try them. How about trying to cast it with the drag on, that should really slow it down. ;D ;D

fishhawk

who said I wasn't going to take your advice???? I would like to have heard something a little more in depth, like maybe a worn spool shaft, wrong spool,wrong bearing cup, etc.But by no means would I be "closed doors" to any advice!

Keta

Quote from: fishhawk on September 09, 2015, 03:06:48 PM
who said I wasn't going to take your advice???? I would like to have heard something a little more in depth, like maybe a worn spool shaft, wrong spool,wrong bearing cup, etc.But by no means would I be "closed doors" to any advice!

Marine grease will slow it down.  As for "in depth" the problem is not mechanical. 

Grease the bearings, reassemble with bearing cup backed out, tighten bearing cup until you feel some resistance when turning the spool, back of a tiny bit then check spool sideplay.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

You trick out Jigmasters with accuframe and plates with bearings to achieve what you have!  Now you want to pack those nice bearings with grease to slow it way down to below a standard jigmaster?  Just sell it and get a standard version!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on September 09, 2015, 05:07:24 PM
You trick out Jigmasters with accuframe and plates with bearings to achieve what you have!  Now you want to pack those nice bearings with grease to slow it way down to below a standard jigmaster?  Just sell it and get a standard version!

The upgrades also are nice if you do not need or want good freespool.  I have a few "detuned" for loners too.

Mark Twain

steelfish

Then thumb cast control is your only option, other than magg it.

Try put the thumb on the lip of the spool not directly on the line.
The Baja Guy

fishhawk

Do the bearings come out of there cups? I got one out, but the other seems stuck, if and when I get bearings out  will remove the shields and pack them with heavy grease then mag it.
thanks

MarkT

Probably won't need to mag after you pack it with grease.  It'll be pretty slow.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!