Anyone ever hear of Red Pig reels?

Started by Tightlines667, February 27, 2014, 11:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I just picked up a heavily used Mad Dog (or Red Pig?) reel for servicing as was wondering if anyone has any information on these reels.  I'd like a schematic and a place to order replacement parts for her.  It looks to be a 20 class 2 speed Tiagra knock off.  Any leads would be appreciated.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

I believe it was a China import based in Texas.  I think the colors were Red if I recall.  No further information I have on that reel.  Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

The only mad Dog reel I know of is Bob's Triple Mad Dog 113H! :P
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Sorry, never heard of it...

I've heard of RED PIG reels.  
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Tightlines667

Actually come to think of it...that did seem like a funny looking dog...kinda looks more like a pig.  
The customer called it a Mad Dog...I think it must be a 'Red Pig'.  
Do you know where I can find parts and a schematic for the 20W 2 speed?
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I found out it is a Red Pig manufactured by BGW International, LLC in mainland china and distributed primarily through Jupiter, FL.  

Here's the schematic:

http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics/Red%20Pig/Red%20Pig.pdf

And I was unable to locate an active/valid phone number or anyone who carries parts :(

Here's the specs I found:
-8 ball bearings (2 in handle, larger left side plate, pinion, and 2 spool)
-5 Bellevilles, 5 thrust washers
-type 2 anodized alum frame/side plates..plastic bridge, all other internals are SS
-4.1:1/1.8:1 gear ratios
-holds 920yds of 20lb mono (0.47mm dia)
-SRMP = $269.99
-4.63lb reported empty weight

And here's a You Tube video of the 16W:

And Alan's thoughts:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8403.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=917.0

And the thread on the hull truth:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/181650-new-2-speed-redpig-fishing-reels.html

Some additional AT threads:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1910.0

Sounds like the same Chinese manufacturer produced Canyon, Zelina, Atlas, Gillmaster, and others?

The reel apparently was promoted and sold at boat shows in Florida, and in Hawaii and there are severel instances of sketchy spam-based promotion occurring.  No one seems to have very much positive to say about these reels.  I was considering doing a quick and dirty tutorial since none apparently exist, but not sure I want to be associated with the brand in any way given its apparent sketchy and jaded history.  Regardless it is someone's reel and has been extensively put through its paces landing a number of large fish.  This is the first of these Chinese knock offs to come accross my workbench and it needs servicing to make it usable, so that's what I'll try to do.

Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

They should have paired up with Red Dog beer. I would have bought one! ;)
Life is Good!

day0ne

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 28, 2014, 01:24:23 AM

Sounds like the same Chinese manufacturer produced Canyon, Duel, Zelina, Atlas, Gillmaster, and others?

Just for the record, Duel reels are from Italy and are very nice reels, nothing like the rest you named. Canyon reels also have a loyal following and are considered to be of higher quality than the others you named
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

I knew that, my mistake...I'll correct the post...just copied some misinformation of which the Internet abounds.
Hope springs eternal

alantani

there was a red pig reel that was bantered around on the hull truth.  it got a pretty rough reception there.  hadn't heard of it since. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

So, after 6.5hrs I was able to complete a service on this reel no one seems to like.  Replaced the pinion, left side, 2 drive shaft bearings, Bellevilles, a new T-bar billet alum handle knob, and converted drag to wet (after reconditioning).  The CF drag disc floats between a pressure plate and the spool (2 working surfaces), sandwiched between a thick hard and somewhat sticky black (ceramic ?) material.  Even after surfacing the drag has bad startup (surgy) transition from static to dynamic friction, Looks like it is 20-30% spike on startup. The drag is smooth once moving though.   The reel is smooth to crank and transitions smoothly between gears under load, all bearings were packed with grease and freespool is poor (<15sec).  It is capable of high drag settings and has a weird stepped cam that ramps slowly (linearly to near strike), then is flat then very aggressive last bit.  The reel lost freespool at 18lbs drag.  Many of the parts seemed to be made cheaply, and some stuff was alum where other reels would have SS.  I did like the dog's set further outside, w/many rachets and very little handle back play.  Also the fine threads on the SS torx head screws throughout seemed inadequate to handling any torquing, and there were severel springs that were a bit tricky to reseat during reassembly.  Anyways for around $120 in parts, and 6.5hrs work, the reel is working again.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Nice rebuild John!, Even if it is a Red Pig! ;)
Life is Good!