new york, new york - the report!

Started by alantani, September 22, 2015, 12:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

so, i say to the wife, "wife, we will soon have been married for 25 years.  let's go someplace special!  all you need to do is pick a direction - north, south, east or west.  i will take care of the rest!  my treat!"

says the wife, "ok, let's see, if we go north there is fishing in oregon, washington, british columbia or alaska.  if we go south there is fishing in san diego or baja california.  if we go west, there is fishing in hawaii.  let's go east!"  

we'll, the farthest east we could go is nova scotia, home of the 1000 pound blue fins, but i've survived 25 years with this lady and can take a hint - no fishing.  so new york it is!  and just for the record, i talk to the only two guys that i know in new york and get two invitations to go fishing!

monday, 9/14/2015 - good bye, san jose, hello los angeles!  i really don't travel much and the novelty of flying has never worn off.  i still enjoy an airplane ride!  

passing over chicago!

our second leg will take us to detroit! i spent a year in michigan for my residency and i'm actually paying attention to u of m football now that harbaugh is coach!

hello, new york!

we took a shuttle from la guardia to times square, then the subway to upper west side and checked into the milburn on 76th.  from there, we hoofed it over to dinner at coppala's!

tuesday, 9/15/2015 - we took the subway downtown.  

we headed to the 9/11 museum and met up with scott and maureen albertson from scott's bait and tackle/mysticparts.com.  this was something that joy really wanted to see.  i wasn't that interested, but i was glad i went.  it's one of those deals like seeing the movie "jfk" or "american sniper."  i already know the ending.  still, it was very moving, very powerful experience and something i highly recommend.  

from there we went to the top of the new building.  

from the top, you can see all of new york!

we had a quick lunch at a mediterranean place called saleya, near the tower.  

from there, it was back on the blue line, then off at 14th street station to the chelsea market.

then we took a walk along the old elevated train trestle called the high line, all the way from chelsea market at 15th street up to the rail yards at 30th street!

at the end of the high line is a giant leggo display, where you can walk in and build anything you want!

here is what the high line looks like from the street!

we ended the evening with a nice dinner at an argentinian restaurant called porteno's back on 27th street and 10th avenue.

thanks to scotty and mo for coming all the up from new jersey to spend the day with us!

wednesday, 9/16/2015 - today we see the metropolitan museum of art!  we had breakfast at the hotel and took a leisurely stroll through central park.  you might guess from the photos, but new york decided to kick out a weeks worth of the best weather that the local's have ever seen!

and here's the met!

with the exception of this guy, i have never seen an ancient egyptian with a nose!

lots of statues in the charles engelhard court!

we had a quick lunch at the 5th floor.  it's a small observation deck that our concierge told us about.  great view!

they had a nice section filled with old japanese weapons and armor.

european as well!

washington crossing the delaware, and headed in the wrong direction!

vincent van gogh!

i was looking at this painting and this young lady was standing next to me.  i could not believe the likeness and she was gracious enough to strike a pose.

we closed the place down and hustled across the park, back to the subway.  we caught the blue line to 50th street and hoofed it over to see our play, the book of mormon!  it was hillarious!

after the play, we walked a block down to times square.  

almost done for the night, we headed back uptown and had a late dinner at a small french place, nice martin, and called it a night.

thursday, 9/17/2015 - breakfast at the hotel again.  the place is called the milburn and joy got a recommendation from her cousin.  nice place!

here's the lobby.

and our room!

we're off to the museum of natural history, only a few blocks from the hotel.

gotta love dinosaurs!

i remember this guy from the movie!

ok, back on the subway for the high point of the trip!

that's right, dinner at arturo's!

at first, my wife was a little concerned about all of these internet friends that i had never met.  i think those concerns are all gone!

just a quick tour of the inside.

the food is great, but it's even better when you walk in with the owner's nephew and his new bride!

hell, they even let me sing with the band!

ok, now we've had too much to eat and way too much to drink.  time to walk it off!

the festival starts on the next block!

here are a few places that west coast dom will remember!

ok, time to go home!

thank you dom and kim for a wonderful evening!!!!

friday. 9/18/2015 - there is no hangover like a new york hang over!  ok, we missed breakfast this morning, so we checked out, stored our luggage and headed out for a quick lunch, then back to the hotel to wait for a cab.  it was a quick and easy cab ride back to la guardia.  if you've never been to new york and are looking for a special place to go for a special occasion, check it out.  i don't know if i could keep up the pace and live here, but it's a great place to visit!  good bye, new york!  we'll be back!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff Boss! ;D
Dom looks like a Giant standing next to you. :D
Looks like Joy and you had a great time.
Thanks for taking us along.
Happy 25th to You and Joy.
Mine is coming up in November.
Life is Good!

foakes

Thanks for the pics, Alan --

Hard to see New York and not think of 9/11.

And for me, hard to see a view of the Hudson from the air -- and not think about Captain "Sully" Sullenberger landing US Airways Flight 1549, an Airbus A320, safely in the river -- after a birdstrike disabled both engines.

The Captain was from California, and taught courses on what Airline Pilots could do in a catastrophic emergency for the maximum safety of both passengers and folks on the ground.  He is a "Pilots -- Pilot".  And on that day in 2009, safely landed in the Hudson with 155 souls on board -- with no loss of life. 

Professional, capable, and cool as a cucumber.

Sue and I are contemplating a trip to the East Coast -- California to Florida, up the Eastern Seaboard to DC, on to New York and further North to Boston.  Might do it early this Fall -- if everything works out.  Likely drive East on 40 -- head back home to California on 80.  Route depends on the weather we encounter.  Gone around (3) weeks, most likely.

Thanks for sharing yours and Joy's trip.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Makes me homesick.  We live well in California but there is a lot about NY to miss.  Seeing Ferrara's pastry shop and the Italian deli across the street makes me hungry.  I'm glad Alan and Joy enjoyed my home town.  Congratulations on your 25th.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Great report Alan!  Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.  Looks like you guys had a great time.  I think this is the first report you've shared that doesn't include at least one fishing-related photo.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Very nice Alan, I'm glad you and Joy had a good time. Too bad it didn't work out with my schedule, I was there after you left.
I would have loved meeting you guys.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reelrepair123

'' i want to wake up in a city that never sleeps ''  etc etc    very glad you both enjoyed your trip to the big apple. beautiful pictures of your sightseeing. nice you met up with dom and kim and enjoyed great new york eats.  happy anniversary again and thanks for sharing.     harryk

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

Glad you  and yours enjoyed my town. There is no where else on Earth like it.

All the Best,

Mike C.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

broadway

Before meeting Alan, to me he was a mythical reel tinkerer with a ton of knowledge, experience, and a boat load of creativity that created the best site on earth.
My thoughts now are much the same but I have to add... fun to be around, easy to talk to, and an all around genuine guy with a big heart. If you don't believe me just look at the band taking a shining to Alan. ;D
It was all our pleasure to share a meal and a drink or two::) with you and Joy in the greatest city on earth.
Joy, I don't blame you for being weary of all of Alan's internet friends, but now you're part of the family (it's an Italian thing-ask Sal and Dominick) so don't be a stranger.
I wish you two the best over the next 25, and by the looks of you and Joy you may get another 50.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us,
Dom
PS- Sal, next time you come in the city you gotta call me, I'm looking forward to meeting you too. ;)

Alto Mare

It will happen, Dom. I don't mind driving 2 hours, vs 6 hours from the past 4  years. ;)
Do you have a clip of Alan singing? I bet he's pretty good. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

couldn't remember all of the words to the song at the time, and now i can't even remember the song, and i'm sober now!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on September 23, 2015, 02:34:35 AM
couldn't remember all of the words to the song at the time, and now i can't even remember the song, and i'm sober now!  ;D
:D :D....

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 23, 2015, 02:26:18 AM
Do you have a clip of Alan singing? I bet he's pretty good. ;D

Rumor has it that Alan sent Broadway Dom a NIB Penn 16/0 not to post that video of him singing at Arturo's.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.