The mightier than sword Penn!

Started by El Guapo, October 07, 2015, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Guapo

Hi,

Having fished most of my life with one or other Penn ranging from the old faithful 500 Jigmaster, progressing to the 555GS then the 525 Mag this brand of reel has always performed both in longevity as well as catching fish.

A few months ago decided to buy the Squall 25n and loaded it with Ultima 20b mono. New line on and line not set properly i was cautious on first cast as well as not knowing the reel's capabilities at all.   Very first cast and jaw was almost on the sand with this out the box reel and distance achieved. Nothing was done to the reel and stock standard. A few minutes later and that sight all fisherman love to see.. bent rod with the fish safely landed not too long after that. Was the only fish of the day but on first cast and distance achieved with minimal effort i was stoked. Area fished is also not the most productive at times. A short video clip of area fished.

Winter had set in proper soon after that and with 4 months of bitter cold and rain cabin fever set in with me having a look at this reel. Left side plate was removed and bearings and spindle cleaned and lubed. The right hand side plate with pinion and bearings etc has not been touched due to plain laziness on my side lol.. with the left side done moderately this was the result..

might be too fast and not sure how much more faster it will be if the entire reel is done as well as practicality for fishing purposes?? might end up pulling out my hair with constant overruns due to fast spool. One thing learned though was this reel don't like a light sinker.. 4oz and overruns but as soon as its upped to 5oz the reel is more controlable.