Rod Builder Learning the Ropes of Reels

Started by FalconerRods, October 03, 2015, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalconerRods

Greetings   -

Long time lurker, first time posting.  I am a custom rod builder and reel tuning enthusiast located in Birmingham, AL. Originally grew up with a freshwater focus but have the light tackle big game bug bad ever since starting regular trips down to Venice, LA in the last few years.  I am building my offshore arsenal and this forum is invaluable to me as I seek to understand what pieces I need and what is best in class (or at least best I can afford).   I like nothing better than fishing with my son Liam. 

I am a founding member of the National Custom Rodbuilding Guild, have been published multiple times in RodMaker Magazine, and specialize in technique specific, high performance rods.  My particular area of expertise is custom fabricated carbon fiber handles and I am particularly obsessed with custom colors / finishes to match reels, boats, etc.  I am not here to sell rods, but I do think the rod deserves just as much attention to detail and fanatical focus on performance as the reel.  If anyone has rod building quandaries or needs guidance I'd be glad to help as best I may. 

I really appreciate all the work that goes into creating a great forum like this.  Looking forward to being part of the community. 

Bill Falconer
Falconer Custom Rods
Birmingham, AL

Rancanfish

Wow, now that is something I haven't seen before.

Welcome Bill!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Welcome, Bill --

Thanks for coming aboard.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cwillis85

Chris

Alto Mare

Hello Bill! you do some beautiful work.
Thanks for joining us and welcome.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Yep, nice looking stuff.  Welcome.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Bill and welcome!
............Lou

Newell Nut

Nice looking work and welcome to the reel head world. Fun place to hang out.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Those are some gorgeous rod butts there I like the handgrips, colours and workmanship look perfect.
I am no rod builder but I know there are others here who are, you'll find them or they will find you.
iD like to see more of your work, post some up whenever you get a chance.
and welcome welcome.

wallacewt

good stuff, are they slippery when wet?
cheers

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!