Convector 20L Drag issue

Started by Fishnmike, April 16, 2014, 05:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnmike

I have a couple 30Ls and one 20 L that I have gone through, cleaned and upgraded to carbon fiber. The 30Ls work great the 20L has and issue though with the drag. When adjusting the star drag there is no gradual increase or decrease in drag pressure. It is more like it is either on or off. I've had it apart several times and can't find the issue. Any ideas on what would typicaly cause this?

Thanks,
Mike

philaroman

is it the old dark-blue Convector?  mine had drag issues straight out of the box...  I mean, it worked, but it seemed like 1/4 turn of the star encompassed the entire functional range & the tiniest bump would change the setting drastically...  I just figured "poor design" & got rid of it

Tightlines667

I'm not familiar with this reel...do you have a schematic you could share?
Sounds like it might be a Belleville or spring washer issue, or possibly a drag spring if so equipped. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Fishnmike

It is one of the black ones.  Have had no issues with it up until now.

I dont have a schematic handy, all the links to the websites with schmatics are blocked at work.  :P

Porthos

Quote from: Fishnmike on April 17, 2014, 06:13:58 PM
It is one of the black ones.  Have had no issues with it up until now.

I dont have a schematic handy, all the links to the websites with schmatics are blocked at work.  :P

Went and checked Mike's Reel Schematics, and the 30L and 20L look correspondingly identical on paper. Assuming you redid the 20L in the same way you did the 30L, yes?

Fishnmike

Yes that would be correct. I have done my 30Ls a couple of times now with no issue.  Wondering if I have the belvilles in wrong or missing something small.

alantani

carbon fiber drags would help if you have not changed them out already. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishnmike

Yeah Alan, I have change to CF on the 20L and the two 30Ls.  The 30s are great its just the 20 I am having issue with.

Wolli

attached pls find the schematics

suppose some or all cf washers are too thin and can not build up enough pressure.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Tightlines667

Did you replace the Belleviles (#609)? And are the oriented in the correct () config?  If so, you may need to measure the total drag stack height of old completed stack, and compare it to the new.  If the new stack is shorter/thiner overall, as suspected, you may need to add a metal washer (or shim) to the top of the drag stack to achieve the desired thickness.  Be careful of going too thick as it might interfere with or contact the side plate once reassembled.  The only other thing that comes to mind is double checking to ensure that you are not missing any of the parts from the base of the gear sleeve to the handle, and that the sleeve which rides inside the Antireverse bearing travels smoothly in the lateral direction.

Hope this helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Fishnmike

Thanks guys.  Will probably tear into it again tonite.  Will measure drag stack thickness but I would bet that the new stack is thicker, not thinner as the old washers were very thin.

Jimmer

Might want to check and make sure the top metal washer is down in the slots in the gear,this situation will produce zero drag. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

higgy

Where do you get carbon drag plates for these reels and how do I order them?
"The act of fishing – for fish, dreams or whatever magic is available – is enough. It transports us to a special world, and a state of mind, where we are free."
― Fennel Hudson, A Meaningful Life - Fennel's Journal - No. 1

Tiddlerbasher

In the US - Dawn at Smoothdrag (for washers or sheets) or Cfdrag for sheets (Ebay) -The rest of the world Downriggershop in Aus - http://www.downriggershop.com.au/carbontex-drag-washers.html

I've used all three over time - The Downrigger shop is the most cost effective outside of the US.