upgrading gear sets for 6/0 and 9/0

Started by jhatch, March 09, 2016, 10:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhatch

Hey guys,
I'm starting a couple builds for land based sharking rigs. I have a mint 114h full frame and will be picking up a 9/0 soon as well. It was my intention to install ss pro challenger hi speeds in both rigs. I noticed the ratio on those and was curious if they might be too high for battling large shark for any period of time? Any suggestions? I figured they would work good since it'll be mostly pumping and retrieving type battle.

Shark Hunter

The Black Pearl gears are the best upgrade you can do to your 114H and 9/0.
Believe me, the ratio is not high for what you are trying to accomplish.
I really think this is the best product Mr. Chui ever made for us.
Bullet proof design with heat treated pinion. 70 lb drag tested.
Life is Good!

Sharkin904

Hopefully I can tell you how they handle come this weekend lol, paddling out a few baits.

Alto Mare

Quote from: jhatch on March 09, 2016, 10:56:28 PM
Hey guys,
I'm starting a couple builds for land based sharking rigs. I have a mint 114h full frame and will be picking up a 9/0 soon as well. It was my intention to install ss pro challenger hi speeds in both rigs. I noticed the ratio on those and was curious if they might be too high for battling large shark for any period of time? Any suggestions? I figured they would work good since it'll be mostly pumping and retrieving type battle.
A little longer handle would make up for the extra speed. Don't go too long though, it would actually work against you.
1/2" to 1" is as far as I would go, most of mine are 1/2" longer than stock.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jhatch

Fantastic! Thanks for the input guys.