Main Menu

Assist hooks

Started by Mandelstam, April 18, 2013, 08:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Gotta admit, I've never used these, but it seems like a bunch of work.

Couldn't you just your a surgeon's loop in the middle of your line, connect the loop to the eye of the jig and then put the hooks on the end of the line with a Palomar or whatever? Or would that fracture the laws of the kingdom?
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bucktail

Quote from: noyb72 on June 05, 2013, 06:15:54 AM
Gotta admit, I've never used these, but it seems like a bunch of work.

Couldn't you just your a surgeon's loop in the middle of your line, connect the loop to the eye of the jig and then put the hooks on the end of the line with a Palomar or whatever? Or would that fracture the laws of the kingdom?
Ronald

noyb72,

If you watch that first YouTube video that Mel B posted you will see that method is not complicated at all.  It's basically just an overhand knot in some Kevlar. 

Simple, but extremely strong and effective. ;)
Just a jig-a-lo

saltydog

Basically rig them the way that works for you. Some have to have 1000 pound everything but I generaly fish with what is gonna get me the most takes from the fish. Some fish are wary of a lot of junk hanging around the bait and some just don't care. Also there is no reason for 200 to 1000 pound breaking strength assist rigs for a fish going less than 100 pounds. Most of the time the more subtle presentation will get more meat in the box, and if you are getting cut a thin piece of wire is a lot less noticeable than Kevlar and ginormous hooks hanging everywhere. Basically get the lures you want and figure out what fish you will be chasing then rig accordingly, no rig is perfect but trial and error will make you a better fisherman. Heck I know guys who use mono and a loop with double hooks on jigs and catch tons of fish without the expense, go figure, nothing in this sport is set in stone.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Mandelstam

A quick update. I got my hooks. :)

I ordered som VMC O'Shaugnessy hooks size 7/0. Used dacron (thanks Lee) that I pulled through itself to double up. One overhand knot around the shank. Heat shrink tube. Done. :)

Rigged cod jigs that work really well in my waters.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bryan Young

I like those gold feather things on your assist hooks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

It's a short piece of mylar tubing like they use for flies. It was just threaded onto the hook over the overhand knot, then served in place with some thread. I remember seeing it somewhere on a forum so I don't want to take credit for the idea.. :)

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2013, 12:13:46 AM
I've been slipping 80lb Spectra into 50lb hollow Dacron when I tie assist hooks, the Dacron is not slippery like Spectra.

your ideas never let me down Lee.

I have a buch, I  mean a ton of 80# dracon and few yards of 80# braid pieces and 50# braid that it cannot be used on a reel, but this idea that you posted is great, braid inside of dacron for the double strengh... no more searching for kevlar for me.
I just need 5-10 assist hooks for some speed jigs I got and dont plan to go fancy on them.

The Baja Guy