Penn 99

Started by ReelCurious, October 18, 2015, 03:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelCurious

Was wondering if you had a Penn 99 side plate, the non-handle side with the image?  Otherwise, do you have one with the side plate in good condition on a corroded reel?  If that's the case I'll take the reel to cannibalize for the side plate.

bluefish69

You do know a Jig Master Side plate will fit the 99. Just not the 500S side plate.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Doug

Hard to find you can also use the plate from a 250 that's what I had to do   Doug

ReelCurious

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 18, 2015, 03:42:02 PM
You do know a Jig Master Side plate will fit the 99. Just not the 500S side plate.

Mike

Yes sir, but looking specifically for the plate with the image.

ReelCurious

Quote from: Doug on October 18, 2015, 03:42:52 PM
Hard to find you can also use the plate from a 250 that's what I had to do   Doug

I've got a 200 on hand but not a 250, the 250 plate lines up to the mounting holes/spool of the 99?

Edit:  My guess is that the 250 plate matches the 500 mounting holes, so for a 99 conversion using the Tib frame and 500 parts the 250 plate would work?  That's what I'm working on - just trying to get the 99 side plate for the 99 conversion with the image.

doradoben

There are several different 99 Accurate / Tiburon  builds on the site. These are not the only ones, but they're both different and show how particular challenges were overcome.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11259.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11624.15

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: ReelCurious on October 18, 2015, 03:24:23 PM
Was wondering if you had a Penn 99 side plate, the non-handle side with the image?  Otherwise, do you have one with the side plate in good condition on a corroded reel?  If that's the case I'll take the reel to cannibalize for the side plate.

I have a few sets of the early Silver Beach 99 side plates with the left side marked "27-99" and one very early left side plate with a waffle clicker, which I believe was from the original model 97.  The right side plates are all complete except for the handle.  The left sides are just the side plate with clicker and bushing but without the trim rings.  I realize that you just need the left side, but I would rather not get stuck with just a right side plate, and it might be nice for you to have some spare parts, so if it's OK with you, I would like to sell them as a set for $25 plus $4 for shipping by USPS first class parcel.  I would rate the left side as an 8 cosmetically, and the right side as a 7 with a good tight take-apart screw.  I do not have time for photos, but if you are unhappy with the parts when you receive them, you can return them for a full refund.  If that works for you, please send your email address to me at rfpauly@aol.com and I will send you a Paypal invoice.

Thanks,

Randy

ReelCurious

Sounds good, thanks!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: ReelCurious on October 18, 2015, 03:56:57 PM
Quote from: Doug on October 18, 2015, 03:42:52 PM

I've got a 200 on hand but not a 250, the 250 plate lines up to the mounting holes/spool of the 99?

Edit:  My guess is that the 250 plate matches the 500 mounting holes, so for a 99 conversion using the Tib frame and 500 parts the 250 plate would work?  That's what I'm working on - just trying to get the 99 side plate for the 99 conversion with the image.

You're right Carl.  The 99 base has three holes per side, versus two per side on the 500 and 250.  The spacing for the posts is wider on the 99 than it is for the 500 or 250.  You can't use a Tiburon or Accurate "99" frame with 99 side plates unless you are willing to drill some extra holes, but it can be done if you are handy, which unfortunately, I am not.