OVER ONE LARGE FOR A 1938 LONG BEACH!!!

Started by Penn Chronology, September 28, 2015, 05:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanreels

Well finally got the reel done, at least as far as I'm going to go. As I said above, I just cleaned it, replaced the free spool lever and screw and 4 screws on the head plate. Also all the brass internals as whoever cleaned it used a wire wheel on them. The rest of the chrome parts look like a fine file was used to remove the green corrosion.  No way to clean a reel.
   Next thing is the finish on the spool. It's like a fine wrinkle finish, doesn't look like corrosion plus there is no hole in the spool spindle.

Remove the bridge at it's loaded with wheel bearing grease. I bet the bottom dried grease on the head plate has been there forever. What a pain to clean it.

They did fish it, the drags were shot. Replace them.

If you wanted to restore this with nice period correct chrome parts it wouldn't be a problem except for the handle. So until I can come up with the right handle I see no point in going any further, even then I may not.There are a few spots in the plates where you can see where some black was in the clear.

This is the cleaned 77 year old reel with all its original parts ( as far as I know ) except for what I replaced. Heck on this one I kept all the parts I replaced. Ready to fish, just add grease. ;D All kidding aside, I did that to a 1933 300 yd. Long Beach. I'll post it later.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Tightlines667

Those plates sure cleaned up nicely.  I would be tempted (maybe because I have been learning from master Ted) to replace all of the chrome with period correct parts, and just keep all of the original parts with the reel.  I think you could buff out the scratches on the marinized-bronze parts with some 4 or 5-0 steel wool and a short soak in vinegar.  I have cleaned up worse to like new condition.  I certainly wouldn't power polish/shine anything past what would be found on stock.

Also, I would get a set of period-correct NOS drag washers from Fred. 

Just a few ideas.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Beautiful reel, in my opinion, worth every penny. ;) Just think how easy it would be for us that like to do upgrades having clear plates. I've been asking for them for the past two years with no luck. :-\
If you need leather washers, Mike might still have a few, I sold him a couple of lots a few years back, but he doesn't know it was me.
He also grabbed some nice early counterbalanced handles for the large Senators. ;D

Thanks for sharing your treasure with us... and that is a treasure. Very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Oceanreels

John,
  Thanks for the ideas, I'll get a hold of Fred for a new set of leathers for the 33 Long Beach that I'm going to fish.
    Sal, thanks. Maybe someone will have the correct handle in nice shape.

Superhook

Good job Brian.   The clear plates were well made to still be good after 77 years . Many clear plastic? things would melt or become brittle after contact with cleaning materials and just aging. Penn made a quality clear product even back in '38.

foakes

Hi Brian --

Have some NOS leather drags --

You are welcome to a couple of sets for your restore projects --

Just let me know the ID & OD measurements you need, PM your mailing address -- and I will get them out to you.

How about some of the Under Gear Washers?  Could send those also.

N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Nice Job on the restoration... I knew she'd clean up well, as I didn't see the typical yellowing that happens to clear plastics that aren't UV treated.
Brian, is the grease port in the head plate missing or does it just look like it in the photo?
You have a very special reel there, but you don't need me to confirm that. ;)
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

Penn Chronology

Thanks for the pics Brian. The cleaning job came out great. Now, you need to find a NOS 1937 Long Beach 65 and mint out your rare artifact. I think that would be appropriate.

Oceanreels

Dom,
  The little plug is missing in both the grease port on the head plate and the handle screw.
    Mike;
You're welcome.   Would have been best if the previous owner had not cleaned it. I fell that if someone was to restore the reel, NOS parts would not fit the condition of the plates, as they have dings, scratches, etc. At this point I'm not doing anything else to it.

bluefish69

Brian

If Fred's Leather Washers don't fit I have some that needs a new home.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

broadway

I may also have a few for that "Clearly" beautiful reel.
Let me know if you need and I'll check for you.
Dom

Oceanreels

Thanks for the offer on washers. Had some so the reel is back together. Don't need new ones for a shelf Queen.

basto

Just saying,(with tongue in cheek), wondering how hard it would be for someone with a 3d printer to scan a reel`s side plate and copy it in clear or any colour plastic . Amazing what is being made for the medical industry now with 3d printers.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

This is the first time I have seen this post.
It is a glitch in the software. Some posts just don't show up.
Great Job on that reel.
You just have to want it.
Self Induced buying parameters permit this.
I do it regularly. ;)
Personally, I wouldn't give a G or that reel, But I would give $1500 for the reel I'm holding below. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

I'd never seen this either.  It cleaned up nicely.  I would not have replaced anything.  Fifty years from now collectors might be discriminating between period correct parts and original parts and have the technology to distinguish between the two.

I did not know bakelite could be that clear.  It must be very fragile.

-steve