DIY Split ring pliers

Started by steelfish, September 28, 2015, 11:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Well, Necessity (being cheap-o) is the matter of invention its an old saying rigth?

I couldnt find somea cheapo split ring pliers locally and I need it one for install and change lot of small split rings and hooks to few small and medium sized cranckbaits that were given to me few weeks ago.
the old finger nail method got old after installing split rings and hooks to 2 lures, and after some ideas from you guys I opted to made my own version of Split ring pliers.

this came from a cheap $3 dls longo nose plier from wallyworld or harbor freight, and steady hand, dremmel (mine actually is is a 5 speed B&D rotary tool) and 2 cutting wheels.

I will let pictures do the talking of what happened in few minutes of work

cut the lower jaw and already made the tooth for opening the split rings

few small grinding later

they dont work as the normal split rings where you instert the lower jaw inside the split ring.
here its working on a small xrap freshwater rapala lure

here with a 2oz spoon with a little bigger split ring now for saltwater

and here is working on a big iron 8oz with a big split ring, not the best with this kind of size but worked nice

not the best, not intended for sale, and its not used as the other split ring pliers but they worked good enough for the intended purpose and I will stick with it, I actually with build another with a wider tooth for working on the big jigs for saltwater, and as you notice, these plier still has the cuttin section for mono line.
not bad for the 1st try, I know a little bit more how to do a better design for the next ones

if you like the DIY tool as I do this really worth the time and work and looking around you can find them for cheap.

thanks you guys, another tool for my reel repair box made with your help and tips

The Baja Guy

David Hall

Very nice!
I have three different pairs of commercial SR pliers, I don't like any of them.

steelfish

thanks David,

I checked online a lot of the current SR pliers and for X or Y reason I dont like something on each what stopped me from ordering one, the ones I really like it were too expensive just for the job of changing hooks which I dont do very often.

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Told ya you could do it with a little patience and finesse!
.....................Lou

steelfish

yep, thanks Lou.

I actually learned few tricks on the dremel doing this plier, next one would be 2x better.

The Baja Guy

Capt Ahab

Good stuff - You just gave me some idears

Wolli

i sold my plier and bought some BOUZ RINGS. They can be used without plier.

www.jdmtackle.com/product_view.php?product_id=130
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

mike1010