Frozen Screws on a Penn Formula

Started by thunnus69, September 25, 2015, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

I have a  Penn Formula 15 two seed I picked up which may have a stripped gear.  Problem is a couple of screws which hold the graphite frame together are frozen.  I can turn them ever so slightly and have begun to spray them with penetrating oil and let them sit overnight.  They're the flat head type and not the torx like I have on my other Penns.  Anyone know of a method or product for unfreezing these? 
Thanks,
Joe

handi2

Being a graphite reel it would be hard to heat them. I would keep doing what you are doing. At least they are turning. Just don't get into a hurry b/c even thought they are turning they can break at any time. Turn just s little back and forth. The soldering iron touching the head of the screw might work in this case.

If one does break hopefully it will have the broken stud sticking up so it can be removed.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thunnus69

Thanks for the feedback.  I will definitely take it slow and let you know how I make out.

thunnus69

Victory is mine!! 
Sprayed penetrating oil where I estimated the screws met the spacer bar near the harness lugs.  Worked them back and forth for a few days.  Realized the spacer bar on this formula 15 was metal and not graphite.  Applied heat tonight staying as far back from the graphite frame as possible and they finally, and reluctantly came loose.  Cracked open the reel and immediately the plastic drag cover fell out.  It had somehow unscrewed itself inside the reel.  The guy who sold me the reel for $36.00 said the gears were stripped.  They're fine.  Easy fix, just a real pain getting it apart. I'm going to tear it down this weekend, clean and grease it (drag too as it was completely dry).  Then order some new screws from Scott's.  Thanks again for the assistance.

josa1

Hi Thunnus69,,,

Good job on the screws, goes to show, patience is always best.  Great buy for $30.00 too!

I just did a tutorial on the Formula 15KG on this site.  Don't know that it would help you that much but it's there if you need it.

Here's a link...http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15404.0

Good luck!

josa1

handi2

I've had one reel come in with the same symptoms. The drag cover had backed off.

You got a great deal..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thunnus69

Hey, thanks again.  I'm more a rod builder than reel guy but do all my own services as well as friends from time to time.  I like a challenge and lessons I learn.  They don't always turn out so well.  I plan to use your tutorial this weekend.  Thanks for posting that.  I have a 30 Graph Lite 2 speed I plan to keep close as a reference as well.
Take Care.

thunnus69

Josa1,
Thanks for the tutorial.  Glad I had it.  Tore the reel down yesterday.  Dry drag got some Cals grease and all the bearings were dry.  I packed them full of Yamaha Marine grease.  Hardest part about the whole job were the frozen screws.  Not far behind was aligning the push button on the gear shifter.  I managed this with a homemade tool since I did not have the original tool meant specifically for this.  What a royal pain.  Your tutorial saved me.  I have two newer Graph Lites that have never been broken down.  I am sure the drags will be dry on those and probably the bearings as well.  I hope to do these once winter sets in.
Thanks again,
Joe

josa1

Hi Thunnus69,

Glad the posting helped.  I'll bet that reel runs smoothly now!

josa1

thunnus69

Smooth yes.  This reel will make its way to Costa Rica where it will stay.  Since I visit there a couple of times a year it's important that whatever I bring down is well cared for since it sits for months at a time and parts and service are difficult to come by down there.  Knowing I can leave things there in good working condition is important.  Relying on "manufacture specs and out of the box readiness" has failed me in the past.  I am hopeful that the service I perform to all my reels stand the test of time.  Who wants to be tearing down reels one or two days into a vacation.  Not me!  Thanks again for your generous post,
-Joe