Lubing Penn's Rubberized Spinning Reel Handles

Started by shootandfish1, October 16, 2015, 07:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootandfish1

Hi Folks,   As one of the Penn 7xx'z newest fan club members, I need your advice.  As I'm sure that most of you know, the re-introduced 704Z and 706Z  (and the last versions of the discontinued 710Z and 712Z) uses a rubberized reel handle.

The rubber handle knobs have a pressed-in bushing with a small hole that I'm assuming is for oil or grease. 

Recommendations?

I know that petroleum based lubes will soon soften and swell rubberized products.

My bottle of Penn Synthetic Reel Oil states that the oil is 'Perfect for Handle Knobs'.  I can't locate my Penn Blue Grease right now (shouldn't have left it on the kitchen table, hopefully the Dear Wife didn't trash it :-[!!!)  Silicon Spray?

My thoughts are that a suitable grease applied with a needle fitting would be best, assuming one could get the grease to flow full length of the handle knob shaft without the bushing popping out.

As these handles are fairly expensive ($40 for the 706Z / 704Z) and getting scarce for the 710Z's / 712Z's,  I would like to maintain them as best I can.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Fred

Side Note-FWIW- I just received a new, current manufactured 706Z and 704Z.  Penn did not provide the grease fitting for the main gear handle shaft that the older 7xx' had.  I may drill and tap mine for a small screw like the 714Z / 716Z uses.

Tiddlerbasher

If it has an 'oil' lube hole I'd go with TSI321

Alto Mare

Penn oil, TS 321 or Reel-X will all do the job. If your reel doesn't come with the oil port hole, remove the handle washer and place a drop by the shaft. The oil should travel down.
I actually like to use a little grease there, but again, you'll be ok with both. just make sure you do it often, it isn't fun trying to remove a frozen gear.
Here is what I do and it only takes a minute.
I'll remove the handle, handle washer and side cover

lift the crosswind arm...some come with a screw, this one didn't

pull the main gear out

apply a little grease on the shaft

and put everything back

You need to be gentle when tilting back the crosswind arm, rotate the rotor as you do it and it will set itself in place.
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

shootandfish1

Thanks Guys,   

Alto,  I did not know that the crosswind arm did not need a screw to hold it in place. That may explain why Penn dropped the expense of an grease fitting for the main gear shaft.

But what do you use for the rubber knob itself?

Note that I've only 'cracked open', 712'z and 716'z,  have not opened up my 710Z's yet and literally just got my 704Z and 706Z.  Yesterday was my first time  casting a bail-less, (and I liked it, a lot!).  Got some funny looks from the neighbors!

Fred

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com