Okuma Makaira TDC?

Started by gstours, October 11, 2015, 05:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Does anyone have any advice with experience of the difference in the earlier Okuma Makaira trolling reels in relationship to the latest reels being marketed as TDC Drag Cams?   I guess the tdc is abbreviated for Tournament Drag 
   I guess it makes for a more gradual compressing of the bellvilles.  Can this be done by re shaping the cam parts?  If so which and how?  or would the ramp have to have material added to prevent the bump up when drag is increased by moving the lever?
Obviously swapping the new parts might be the right quick way to achieve this.
  I have a  Mak 20II that has a tooo aggressive ramp for my liking.  I was wondering on some feedback to advise me in a how to slow and gradually add the drag pressure in a more controlled way from free to strike.   Any comments will be considered.
   And how do I know which cam Im getting if I order this TDC cam as I need a part number to refer to.              thanks gst.

sundaytrucka

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15272.0

This is from a thread in the Okuma forum regarding the TDC cams. The TDC cams lower the drag range of the Makairas significantly, they are designed for tournament regulations and line class records.

For example, an old school Penn International 30 was designed for 1000 yds of 30# test...line class records, not 500+ yds of 130# spectra and 200# tuna.

Your best bet would be messing with the belleville configuration, giving a more gradual ramp of drag pressure. I do not have any experience with modifying the belleville arrangement, so I cannot help much, best bet is to experiment.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

handi2

And I thought it meant "top dead center".

Shimano makes the same tournament cams for the Sailfish reels. 15lbs. max drag.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks mr. trucker;  you sent me enough to think that the bellvilles are tuned to a way less aggressive and smoother transition to full.  So  I will play with my reel at max drag and see what I can live without.  I will rearrange the bellevilles first and go from there!   Thanks for the info and pictures of graph too.   Right on
    This site is great and hats off to all participants!