A limit of cobia from the kayak

Started by Prof. Salt, October 05, 2015, 02:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

I do love those cobia! They're strong, fight hard, and when it's time to bring them into the kayak things can get intense. It doesn't stop me from catching them, in fact I look forward to these delicious chocolate colored fish every time they eat a bait. In this video I included some "stick work" beside the kayak - several new guys have said they had trouble once they put the fish into the kayak, and I wanted to share my method of eliminating most of the danger at that part of the fight. It may be brutal but it's a key safety issue for any fisherman sitting on a plastic boat.

Rancanfish

Just wondering if Cobia have a hard skull, or could you spike them?

Of course then you have a sharp object to contend with so.......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Prof. Salt

They do have a hard skull, and they tend to flip around wildly if you try to get your hands on them before application of the "night-night" stick. I have a friend who uses a stick with a large screw protruding from it. He hits them with the "head" of the screw and punches a hole in the noggin. I would be afraid of missing the fish and punching a hole in the kayak. A spike would give me the same worry.

Steve-O

Excellent, Glenn! Smoked King and Fish Tacos! do you ever run into Wahoo out by the rigs?

Shark Hunter

I think that 45" heard you when you first hooked him about the Wham Bam Treatment. :D
Life is Good!

Prof. Salt

Steve-O, I dream of wahoo, but they're rarely caught inside of 20 miles. It doesn't stop me from looking though!

Steve-O

Gotcha on that, Glenn .

Idea....friend with power boat or new aquanitance met at local harbor receives gas money and tip for hauling you 19.5 miles out with your yak strapped on and you only paddle say .5 to 2 miles to said Wahoo. Catch your limit. Radio boat. Home by lunch.

Prof. Salt

I'm trying to find the right friend and that idea will be reality!

whalebreath

I was going to suggest a west coast style commercial fisherman's gaff as shown to subdue those Cobia but really there is no elegant way to subdue a fish that size when you're sitting on the water-Congrats on the fine catch!