Penn International 955 Baitcaster Challenge

Started by foakes, September 14, 2015, 01:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Client brings in an old International 955 that his son found at the bottom of a lake when trolling 4 or 5 years ago.

Mud encrusted, hard dried grease, would not operate or even turn -- bound up tight.

Full breakdown, clean all parts, replaced CFs with Cal's greased CFs, new Delrin UG washer, new worm bushing, 2 new bearings, reassemble, lube with Yamaha Marine and syn oil, 150 yards of 15 lb. Pink Ande -- few scratches -- but 5 hours later -- operates perfectly.  Just like a gyroscope.

This is a testament to the quality of a good Penn reel.

Best,

Fred

http://s748.photobucket.com

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Great job there Fred!  I'm sure the before pics would have been uderly offensive.  Great little real, as long as one can keep the electrolysis issues in check with a little lube, and you run greased CF drags.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

El Pescador

Fred, his son has  a fantastic reel!!!!

I've use the 955 for Steelhead on the Elk River, just one river North of the Rogue River in coastal Southern Oregon.

Nice job on the reel, you could do this for a living!!!!!!

Oh!! Wait!!! you do!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

MarkT

Nice recovery! Good thing it came from the bottom of a lake rather than the bottom of the ocean.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Heheh Freshwater is good for Penns! Rinse thoroughly! As long as it takes! ;D

On another note, glad you finally found my old reel!  ;D

;)

Alto Mare

Nice Job resuscitating that reel Fred, he'll be very happy. Those little reels are nice jewels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.