Metal polish

Started by Sandbar33, January 14, 2011, 02:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Enuff

For the really bad "green corrosion" I use very fine steel wool wet with WD-40, makes short work of it.

RowdyW

Quote from: Long Enuff on March 09, 2016, 01:27:48 PM
For the really bad "green corrosion" I use very fine steel wool wet with WD-40, makes short work of it.

You might want to try a 1/2 hour soak in white vinegar & scrub with an old tooth brush. The vinegar will get into the crevices better & neutralize  the corrosion. Oils will cover the corrosion not neutralize it.

foakes

Quote from: RowdyW on March 09, 2016, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: Long Enuff on March 09, 2016, 01:27:48 PM

You might want to try a 1/2 hour soak in white vinegar & scrub with an old tooth brush. The vinegar will get into the crevices better & neutralize  the corrosion. Oils will cover the corrosion not neutralize it.

Yep, Rowdy is absolutely right -- plain ole white vinegar -- a gallon is really cheap.

Got to neutralize the Verdigris (Green Corrosion) first -- otherwise it will continue to smolder until there is nothing left -- about 200 years, or so.

If neutralized, the pits will of course still be there -- but that is as far as they will go -- and they will no longer be green. 

I like to use "0000" steel wool afterwards -- then Ted showed us how to use Never-Dull for the finish.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Yes every one very interesting topic, and I have learnt a lot, thanks, my question is, I have cleaned an alloy reel plate, that I wish to display, if I coat it with marine grease, it will collect dust esetra, is there any product that I can give it a protective coat with, this is alloy, cheers Don, & thanks.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Wipe it over with CorrosionX - the ordinary thin stuff - leave overnight - then polish it :-\

Shootr2003

Penn reels if they are reallyflaking I will wire brush them by hand after a soak in lemon juice or vinegar or lime away,for myself I just polish them with brasso or Dura glit and after that rinse with water and bicarbonate of soda to neutralize any leftover acid then hot water,while still warm a shot with penetrating oil,rechroming is an option ,if you have one near you.mine I use mine,or intend to so they are working reels
If a man sails the seas, with no woman around, is he still wrong?

Keta

Quote from: kamuwela on January 31, 2011, 09:26:19 AMthats not too bad alan, ive had someone tell me that the grease causes corrosion. :-\

They do not know what they are talking about unless they used metal containing grease that did not play well with aluminum.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Glos

Quote from: kamuwela on January 31, 2011, 09:26:19 AMthats not too bad alan, ive had someone tell me that the grease causes corrosion. :-\
It does cause screws to grip less, which makes them unscrew more easily.
I did it for fresh water use screws ( no need ) and found out.

And about that OP problem. Not sure for particular substances, salt water, but baking soda did help me with stainless steel being tarnished with Hydrochloric acid.
Good hard hand rubbing with abrasive kitchen sponge.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.