budget 50 pound reel

Started by q3fishboy, October 08, 2015, 06:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

I've trolled spectra that had at least a 20-30yd mono top shot as shock leader. Trolling straight spectra...no...I avoid that.

johndtuttle

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 09, 2015, 07:07:05 PM
Thanks for all of the advice.

I've never targeted these fish before, so, open to suggestions on what gear is appropriate.

I just don't really like the idea of trolling with spectra, but what are your opinions on it?.

I should add that I also have a stock 112H which has some spectra with room for a decent mono top shot.

Nothing wrong with trolling with braid, BUT, put a 25yd top shot of mono on it for shock absorption/stretch for BFT to 100lbs. I use 100# for a shock leader. Trolling for truly big tuna or Marlin you bump it up to 50 yards of 200# (on a 50W) or more.

q3fishboy

Sounds good. Thanks for all the help everyone.

MarkT

A 113h would be fine for what you're looking to do with 50# so if you find one cheap you should be good if it's in good shape. A 112h is a big Jigmaster so I'd stop at 30# on it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on October 10, 2015, 02:48:39 AM
A 113h would be fine for what you're looking to do with 50# so if you find one cheap you should be good if it's in good shape. A 112h is a big Jigmaster so I'd stop at 30# on it.
I agree!

Fishboy, you got good advice from the gang., considering that money is tight, I would go with one of the two you've mentioned above. My choice would be the 113H, it will keep getting the job done while keeping money in your pocket. I would load the 113H with straight 50lb mono.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

q3fishboy

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Going to just try and use what I have.

Will try to save up for a budget 2 speed.

I guess I am open to advice for that as well.

Thinking 300 yards of 100 pound spectra packing.

Maybe 100 or so yards of 40-60 pound mono top shot.

Do these specs seem reasonable as a step larger than a torium 20?

You guys have recommended a penn fathom lever drag 2 speed?  What size?

Also, how does this reel compare with Avet or any other manufacturers?

Thanks a bunch.

How does