Reel protection - Jetski fishing

Started by Whiteman, October 09, 2015, 05:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Whiteman on October 16, 2015, 05:21:16 AM
Some very useful advice - thanks all. My local tackle shop told me not to use neoprene covers because of the trapped moisture.

I think I'll just up the maintenance. I'm told the Penn spin reels (gold ones - can't remember the names) have good water resistance. And when you own a boat (or jet ski), upgrading reels each season is still a relatively cheap cost!

Your tackle shop is right in the sense that you don't want to store them that way, but when running on the ski they will prevent spray from being driven deep into the reels. Regardless, pretty much any conventional reel will have to be opened every trip but the higher end sealed spinning reels will be waterproof.

funhog

Bloodyskis.com  might have an answer for you

Simon Anderson

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Dominick

Quote from: Steve-O on October 09, 2015, 02:11:14 PM
I kayak fish....so it's a waaaaay slower mode of transport, but don't use covers and will get my reels wet, slimy from fish, gooped up with bait, whatever and then rinse and wipe them down after the session.

I realize saltwater is going to get on your reels but isn't that part of it? Even on a dry boat the line is bringing saltwater right up on to the spool.  The jetski or rather waverunner style PWC's in videos I've watched have rocket launcher racks on them to carry the rods out and back.

I think the fresh water rinse and dry off with regular cleaning is the key.

or you could get these?

I have a couple of those and some other styles.  I only used them to travel to and from the boat.  I don't want to get them soaked with salt water.  After I fresh water rinse and dry the reels I wipe the reels with a reel-x impregnated rag and put the covers back on.  That's just me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

Quote from: alantani on October 15, 2015, 05:27:53 PM
honestly, a 1 gallon ziplock with a small hole in the top!  ;D
For water proofing on a jet ski; ziploc AND rubber band around base of reels. Otherwise for boating a reel cover. Ive been using reel covers for decades (nylon and neoprene) and my reels are pristine. On party boats ESPECIALLY when in the racks they are covered & rigged, and when needed just rip the cover off (I replace cover when boat moves to a new spot). After the trip rinse with luke warm water to remove sea salt (reel and cover) spray reel with Salt X and let dry. I HOPE no one would store a clean reel in a wet (with salt water) t-shirt or cover; it just doesnt make sense. Reel covers on a jet ski is not practical when the reels will be getting EXCESSIVE water on them for hours at a time. Reel covers also help to protect your line from the direct exposure to the sun; especially when on long range trips (multi day trips in the racks exposed to sun and salt splash).

Leo