Old Penn 114H Side ring issues.

Started by Captain Kevin, August 04, 2016, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kevin

I am refurbishing 2 very old 114H's. The new side rings are not fitting properly over the old side plates. I have heated up the rings and frozen the side plates trying to get them to work however had no success. The shop I  purchased the rings from verified that I purchased the correct parts but could not offer any other suggestions other than the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dominick

I'm afraid that the side plates have swollen over time.  It is a common occurrence with those old side plates.  You now have to dremel very lightly around the plates or use fine sandpaper until the rings fit.  It usually does not take much.  The heating and freezing trick does work when they are close.  Let us know how you make out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

What he said. don't force it or you will be buying rings.

foakes

Dremel works very good -- but I just take a file 2 or 3 orbits around the plate.

Doesn't take much -- just a few thousands.

Nothing shows after rings are installed.

Welcome!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

I've been told in the past , by the Penn Guru  that there is a small difference in plate size between the early and later Senator side plates and the later rings do not fit without work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Superhook on August 04, 2016, 10:36:15 PM

I've been told in the past , by the Penn Guru  that there is a small difference in plate size between the early and later Senator side plates and the later rings do not fit without work.
Yup! I have a few here that are brand new and won't work with the newer rings.
From my parts the ones that show the most are the 113 ( black 4/0) plates.
I have yet to see a swollen plate, but heard they do exist.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Use the file technique, as Fred stated two to three revolutions at the outside and the raised inside should do it...don't force it as stated or new rings will be coming in the mail.....let us know how it goes.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

I had a 114H with the same problem - Old plates and new rings.
I found a suitable sized bolt with nuts and washers (can't remember the size :() to fit the bearing cap hole.
Mount in a drill/drill stand/lathe. Spin up and file/sand away. I tend to mainly use Abratech for jobs like this.
It holds the dust and can be vacuumed afterwards  ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 05, 2016, 07:41:32 AM
I had a 114H with the same problem - Old plates and new rings.
I found a suitable sized bolt with nuts and washers (can't remember the size :() to fit the bearing cap hole.
Mount in a drill/drill stand/lathe. Spin up and file/sand away. I tend to mainly use Abratech for jobs like this.
It holds the dust and can be vacuumed afterwards  ;)
Excellent tip, I could see that working nicely. I would probably use a rubber washer, along with a metal washer.
Thanks for the idea, it's always there, but at times we don't see it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Captain Kevin

Thanks everyone! I will try the file first. I also like the drill idea.  Don't think I'm steady enough with the dremel to avoid taking too much off. I'll let you know how it went.

handi2

It has been stated already but now that I have internet service again I'll post away.

I use the little round Dremel sanding tool. I go around the inside first until the ring fits easily. Then I do the outside until it fits easily. I don't like them to be tight and forced on.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cbar45

Method is similar to Tiddlerbasher's.

I wrap sandpaper aound the spatula and press it against the sideplate.

Takes about two minutes.

chad

mizmo67

See...I knew they'd have some filing techniques!

Thanks for helping him, guys. I wasn't sure the safest way to attack it if the heat/ice failed and I didn't want his plates damaged.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com