atd80w vs 80stw

Started by bill19803, September 01, 2015, 04:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

Help
Here in the   east   tuna head boat  fishing begins  after labor   day  and  goes till  weather  goes bad. I have   scheduled   4    24 hour   trips  on a head boat    in  NJ, but my  target is   swords   not    tuna. Those  gals    get to be  some big  critters   like up  to   300-400 lbs  and i have seen a   411   on  scales dressed.
MY  problem-   what outfit  to choose  for  main  and  for back up.  I have   accurate  atd   80w   and   penn  80   stw   both  stock, both loaded  with   130   cortland hollow  spectra,  200  lb  izor  flouro leaders. I have never been inside  either reel   and im not  about  to   do that now. Drag  will be    27- 28  lbs   as im  old  fart   and more  will kill me  before the  fish.  Rods  are  calstar graphite gf770-xxxh, built   suitable   for use on the  rail.

Does  anyone  have  any info   that  would help me make  decision on  which  to use  as   go  to outfit  and  which  for back up.  If i   do  hook up it  will be a long   grueling battle   and i  sure  dont  want   to  hear  grinding   from  the reel  guts  half  way thru the  fight.

alantani

for now, pull on them both and use the one that is smoother. 

recent model accurates all have greased carbon fiber drag washers.  at some point i would recommend a full service. but for now you are good go to.  the penn 80 should be a two speed (s) with a tube frame (t) and the wide version (w).  these older reels had dry carbon fiber drag washers and they will stick.  once this reel is properly serviced, either one should be good.   

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

I think the 80s are too big and heavy for 300lb. fish.  A Penn International 30 or 50 will do the job just fine.  If you are strapped into a fighting chair then you can winch the fish in with the 80 but if you have to stand and fish with it I think it is too clumsy.  My opinion only.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Some serious set-ups!  Good luck on your trips, please upload some photos or send them my way and I'll put them up for you.  I'd like to do one of these trips next year.  Enjoy!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bill19803

and  so i followed  the boss mans  advice.  Hitched  up line  to trailer hitch  and  had   better half   drive  slowly  down  the  street. seemed like the  atd 80w  was  smoother  so that  is  my  prime  cannon,  with  80 stw as  backup.  so  far   three  trips.  3  bites  on  the  big  gun  a  quick  run  showing power  and poof  gone,  a shark  bite off   and   100 lb  sword. not many bites  but the  squid  with  12"-15" tubes  are  not daily  fare  for footballs  either.  atd performed  flawlessly  and  kicked butt  and  took a lot of names lol
that  sword  sure  did taste  great  with  lemon butter.