Kastking - don't throw rocks at me!

Started by Nicko_Cairns, October 19, 2015, 12:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

[/quote]

Kastking is just a rebranded chinese OEM reel. Its not even necessarily original designs being made by a chinese manufacturer.  I cant think of any situation where their reels would be worth recommending. 
[/quote]

Why? Personal experience? Because it is sold at a cheaper price than a name brand company it is being made for or just because it is Chinese?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Tiddlerbasher

I can only speak about the KastKing Katmai range of fly reels - but the quality is very good. I would compare them (favourably!) with the Orvis Battenkill disc reels (of which I have 2).
And they are £100-£150 cheaper - to me that's a no brainer. Just saying :-*

Gfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 05, 2019, 03:55:54 PM
I can only speak about the KastKing Katmai range of fly reels - but the quality is very good. I would compare them (favourably!) with the Orvis Battenkill disc reels (of which I have 2).
When I used to flyfish alot I could never see the use in expensive fly reels, though I'm sure they have their place when saltwater corrosion resistance or good drag is needed(e.g., Tarpon fishing). The Kastking reels sound like sound like a good knock-around product, perhaps a reel you could leave in the back of your p/u and not worry too much about.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 05, 2019, 05:08:11 AM
Quote from: Pro Reel on January 01, 2019, 05:10:23 PM
From what I understand, the company making them, makes several other brands for others also. It seems that there are a few major oversees companies that actually build most of the reels being sold under dozens of brands. I'm quite familiar with the reels coming from Korea often referred to as doyo fishing. That's supposed to be the company that builds all Lews, Abu Garcia, Pfluger, most bass pro shops reels, 13 fishing, and now even Penn reels. I'm not 100% sure about all of them but basically if Pure fishing owns the brand, then it's a Korean reel they're buying from Doyo. Lews and Bass pro also buy from Doyo but may also get some from Banax in China and who knows where else. From what IO understand, even Daiwa has started contracting some lower level reels with Doyo. It seems that Shimano and Daiwa and possibly Okuma may be the only brands still owning there own manufacturing facilities. Not sure about other brands.

Kastking is just a rebranded chinese OEM reel. Its not even necessarily original designs being made by a chinese manufacturer.  I cant think of any situation where their reels would be worth recommending. 

I,m glad you have been honest with you comment, because I feel the same way. Having said that, since I have gotten into reel repair and custom reels. I found that many improvements would be welcome to USA reels today as well.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Gfish on January 05, 2019, 05:41:32 PM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 05, 2019, 03:55:54 PM
When I used to flyfish alot I could never see the use in expensive fly reels, though I'm sure they have their place when saltwater corrosion resistance or good drag is needed(e.g., Tarpon fishing). The Kastking reels sound like sound like a good knock-around product, perhaps a reel you could leave in the back of your p/u and not worry too much about.

"Leave in the back of your p/u" - what my precious reels - you must be joking - they get tucked in  bed every night ;D ;D