My 113hlw project

Started by Yogi_fish808, October 22, 2015, 06:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Since I've become familiar with working on the classic penn's this sweet USA 113hlw caught my attention and no body else bid, so I scooped it up for a very fair $160. Came with nice Tiburon topless frame (perfect for distance casting from shore in Hawaii) an accurate t-bar handle. Grease was applied everywhere and there wasn't a speck of rust anywhere. To my surprise it even had SS Accurate 4:1 gears, which the seller hadn't mentioned! 

Rancanfish

Nice.  Good to have one ready to go as is.

Looks like a member here built it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

NICE find, and more than fair; my rough calc says $300 to build all said at today's prices, when you hunt up the Accurate stuff.

RowdyW

It looks like you have allen screws with square bottomed heads in a tapered screw hole. They should be changed to screws with tapered heads.

foakes

Great pics, Yogi!

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Looks great yogi.
I have to agree with Rudy about the screws.
BMITCH did something similar, but he ground the screws down.
I would just replace those with regular penn tapered screws.

Life is Good!

Yogi_fish808

Thanks guys. Unless it leads issues with functionality i really like the look of the ss screws i have on it now, even if the holes in the rings are tapered. Found a decent condition red anniversary spool and upgraded the yoke to a smoothdrag ss one too

thorhammer

Hey Yogi let's see a pic with new spool; I didn't know that existed. Sweet.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Yogi_fish808

With the $18.50 Red 50th Anniversary Spool installed. It has a few dings on the lip but the spindle was straight and nothing rubs so it's fine. Freespool was great after polishing the pinion gear/spindle arms and cleaning/reelx'ing the bearings.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: handi2 on November 03, 2015, 12:59:05 AM
$165.00...!

Wow.

The same seller that I bought this reel from listed a few more 113hlw w/ tib frames for $200 but with stock gears. Guess he didn't realize they were worth that much. Pretty happy with the deal I got, $160 shipped to my doorstep!

Alto Mare

You did good Yogi, nice reel!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

very nice, Yogi! $18.50 for that spool, too? The stars lined up for you very well on this build my friend!!!

Yogi_fish808

I went and pulled the trigger on Adam's updated 113h drag insert kit. The quality was top notch as always with his products. Just as discussed the smoothness achieved toward the top of the stock drag #'s in the 20lb(ish) range is like butter, with less tension on the star and delrin washers under the gear and on top the stack. The amount of drag it puts out with the star 3/4 tight is way higher than i'd feel safe with so I may change the washer configuration to soften the max drag. I do plan on adding an SS sleeve eventually, but shouldn't be an issue for now as I don't plan on fishing this reel above 20lbs too often. Aloha!

Alto Mare

Nice reel Yogi!
One of the good features on the versa drag system, you could make adjustments  as needed.

Looking at what you have, I would advise you get some new plate. Those would probably be ok, but since new ones are easily obtainable and very reasonable in cost...why not.
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/PENN/Repair%20Bulletins/repairbulletin1.pdf

Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.