Isla Guadalupe or Bust...!

Started by Aiala, October 23, 2015, 12:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Thanks, everyone! In fact, I fished the island once nearly twenty years ago aboard the SUPREME, but we didn't stay long and left pretty quickly on our way south to Alijos. I never thought I'd live to see it again, which is why this is a really exceptional treat for me. Guadalupe is one of those magnificently forbidding spots that few people (except for crazy anglers) ever get to visit, so I am really looking forward to this voyage.   :)

Meantime, I'm dialing up my tackle, replacing one Jigmaster with a 114H and taking along another blinged 4/0. I may have to leave behind my beautiful little Monofil greenie, though; I hate the thought of it being ripped apart by some furious giant toothfish.   :P 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

johndtuttle

Quote from: Aiala on October 23, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
Thanks, everyone! In fact, I fished the island once nearly twenty years ago aboard the SUPREME, but we didn't stay long and left pretty quickly on our way south to Alijos. I never thought I'd live to see it again, which is why this is a really exceptional treat for me. Guadalupe is one of those magnificently forbidding spots that few people (except for crazy anglers) ever get to visit, so I am really looking forward to this voyage.   :)

Meantime, I'm dialing up my tackle, replacing one Jigmaster with a 114H and taking along another blinged 4/0. I may have to leave behind my beautiful little Monofil greenie, though; I hate the thought of it being ripped apart by some furious giant toothfish.   :P 

~A~

See if they have any loaner 2-speeds Aiala. You are likely gonna get bit heavy.  ;)

bluefish69

Aiala

I don't know exactly where your headed but please watch out for the Hurricane that's down there. 

Please catch enough to fill the fish boxes. You don't need help just your Wheaties.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Quote from: johndtuttle on October 24, 2015, 12:12:02 AM
See if they have any loaner 2-speeds, Aiala. You are likely gonna get bit heavy.  ;)

John, I sure hope so!   ;)

I've got a pair of Avet 2-speeds, one JX and a new HX that just came in the mail today. I hope they'll suffice; if not, maybe the boat will have an International or something I can use. Still, my personal best YFT was 125 lbs, on a stock 9/0 with 80 lb test... although admittedly I was lots younger then. 

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 24, 2015, 12:56:53 AM
Aiala, I don't know exactly where you're headed but please watch out for the Hurricane that's down there. 
Please catch enough to fill the fish boxes. You don't need help, just your Wheaties. Mike

Mike, that hurricane will be long dissipated by the time I go, and anyway it's too far south to have much effect, although maybe some oceans swells will still linger.

Gee, I don't know about those Wheaties... maybe some Geritol??   ;)  :D

~A~

bluefish69

Wheaties breakfast of CHAMPIONS

MIke
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on October 24, 2015, 02:33:57 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on October 24, 2015, 12:12:02 AM
See if they have any loaner 2-speeds, Aiala. You are likely gonna get bit heavy.  ;)

John, I sure hope so!   ;)

I've got a pair of Avet 2-speeds, one JX and a new HX that just came in the mail today. I hope they'll suffice; if not, maybe the boat will have an International or something I can use. Still, my personal best YFT was 125 lbs, on a stock 9/0 with 80 lb test... although admittedly I was lots younger then. 

~A~
You're still a young lady, but you should be able to get it done a little easier with a 9/0 loaded with upgrades we have available to us.  ;D
Good luck! I hope you have a great trip.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on October 23, 2015, 11:53:15 PM
402?

You mean the big Mitchell? I don't think so... Actually I was planning to take my Penn 704 (to cast poppers) but now I'm not so sure... maybe to make bait?   ::)

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 24, 2015, 12:42:06 PM
You're still a young lady...
Compared to the Rockies, perhaps, but thank you, kind sir!   ::)

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 24, 2015, 12:42:06 PM...but you should be able to get it done a little easier with a 9/0 loaded with upgrades we have available to us.  ;D

Well, I do have a Dom/Tom frame and new Cal-greased CFs!   ;)

~A~

Tiddlerbasher

BMITCH

Aiala, I can't give advice about cow hunting down baja, but what I can say is this...I agree with Sal on a totally blinged out 9/0 as being "able to get the job done". That said I too am heading to the canyons tonight in search of XXL fish with the largest arrow in my quiver being a stock 9/0. Boy do I feel under gunned. Even if it had all the bling, which I think can give you an impressive 70# of drag😝 I wish I had a nice 50 wide or even an 80wide TWO SPEED! Alas, finances don't allow it this year but you can be sure next year I'll be going to the ball game with a much larger bat. My point being.... I love the senator series and have more than I can count. But at the end of the day by the time your done upgrading a 9/0 with stainless this and stainless that were damn close to what a nice two speed used would cost. Bring a cannon to a gun fight...IMHO.
  Hope you get a bunch that test your tackle to the limits.because this is where all of us TRUELY want to have happen. Best of luck, can't wait for the report and pictures...please!

Tight lines,
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

tgorman

I'm envious too.  I've been lucky enough to have gone twice.  My dad's best friend needed a buddy and he'd pay half my fare.  We with with Mike and Marcy on the Trilene Big Game. They had this lug-a-buddy for 1/2 price if you paid way in advance. So I really paid like 1/4th the price and he took me twice :-)  Cannot remember the captains name on first trip. Funny little guy and loved to dove hunt.   I can remember when I was trying to through some 6x Salas at a some birds  I thought were on some bait  and he came out and took my rod for a while and tried to get a great white to follow it.  He got it's attention but never could get it near the boat to see it.

One both trips the bait rolled on the way down.. so it sure made for tough fishing and late nights making bait.

Don't be afraid to take a nap and come back out at night.  Dropper Looping at night is a great way to catch big yellows down there.  That is where I learned to make a Lupe Dropper Loop.

And a 2 speed is a must. I missed out on my personal best YFT over 200#'s  I got it to about 40 feet and couldn't move it with my neweled 4/0 with high speed gears.  Finally lost it i the anchor rope on 3rd or 4th trip around the boat.  Should have stood in the corner as it was just making what I know now as death spirals.

Good luck. 
Team work makes the dream work!

conchydong

Going to the Lupe is on my wish list. Living on the east coast it is not that easy nor inexpensive to fish in Baja but I had the pleasure to fish at Alijos a couple times as well as the lower banks on long range trips but I have always been fascinated to fish at Guadalupe. I did go to the East Cape fishing twice and loved that also.
Have a great trip.
Scott

SoCalAngler

Bob the Lupe is not really thought as a cow tuna destination. But, it can kick out some 100-150lb YFT, once in a while some larger fish due show up but you have to be on one of those lucky trips.

Nice fish for sure and Aiala if you have a 30 sized two speed or can get your hands on one I for sure would take it along.