Edward Vom Hofe & co. New York "Commander Ross" #722 16/0 Vintage 1930's Reel

Started by erikw, October 28, 2015, 09:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Quote from: foakes on October 31, 2015, 12:19:10 AM
Hi Erik --

These are just opinions -- and some folks may not like what I am about to say -- but I believe it to be the truth.

Fred

Well posted Fred!

Dominick

That is what this site is all about.  Information.  Let the person know what he has and advise him on his best strategy.  Good job Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Dominick on October 31, 2015, 03:00:46 PM
That is what this site is all about.  Information.  Let the person know what he has and advise him on his best strategy.  Good job Fred.  Dominick

Hey Dominick, I'll give you $100 for Sal's tank....everyone knows it's only worth $50  ;D ;D ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 01, 2015, 05:16:26 AM
Quote from: Dominick on October 31, 2015, 03:00:46 PM

Hey Dominick, I'll give you $100 for Sal's tank....everyone knows it's only worth $50  ;D ;D ;)
Max, you are going to be surprised that the "Tank" has no monetary value.  At some point in time the Tank will be given to a deserving member of this site who promises to put a hurting on it each time it is taken out.  It has been fished hard by me.  It has caught Marlin, Dorado, Rooster Fish, Wahoo and Tuna.  It has behaved admirably.  I would like to use it more but my trips with it are only 6 days a year.  The last few times I fished I left my Penn Internationals 30 and 50 home and only brought the Tank and my Torque 300.  Those 2 reels will get the job done on most fish targeted.  If anyone is targeting big fish and want to give the Tank a go, PM me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Anyway you can post more pictures?  Beautiful reel from the looks of it.  Some awesome advice given so no need to chime in there.

Dominick - I love your post, gives warm fuzzy feelings no matter who you pass the Tank onto;  this place is one big family.  
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Maxed Out

[/quote]
Max, you are going to be surprised that the "Tank" has no monetary value.  At some point in time the Tank will be given to a deserving member of this site who promises to put a hurting on it each time it is taken out.  It has been fished hard by me.  It has caught Marlin, Dorado, Rooster Fish, Wahoo and Tuna.  It has behaved admirably.  I would like to use it more but my trips with it are only 6 days a year.  The last few times I fished I left my Penn Internationals 30 and 50 home and only brought the Tank and my Torque 300.  Those 2 reels will get the job done on most fish targeted.  If anyone is targeting big fish and want to give the Tank a go, PM me.  Dominick
[/quote]

That's a fantastic idea Dominick, have Sal's tank travel the world and take on whatever it comes up against and have a dedicated thread for pics and adventures with the tank. I like that idea !! You are the man Dominick.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rothmar2

I know this has gone off topic, but like what Max is suggesting. I'll pay for postage to get it to Australia, try and put a sword on it, fit it with some SS rings while I have it, and then pass it on to whoever wants to attempt to hurt it next. Would make for an epic thread....

erikw

erikw

Quote from: Max Doubt on October 30, 2015, 11:03:58 PM
   Hello Eric, beautiful reel

Are you interested in selling ??

Max - Thank you for YOUR interest. I'm not sure yet if I want to sell it.

erikw

Quote from: foakes on October 31, 2015, 04:10:12 AM
Hi Erik --

Would you mind posting a couple of close up pics showing the bottom of the stand and also the spool condition from a couple of different angles?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred,

I'll take some more pics and post them when I get a chance. It currently has line on the spool. It is thick old braided stuff. Do you think there is any point in leaving it on or saving it, or should it come off so the condition of the spool can be seen?
thanks,
Erik

foakes

If it were mine, Erik --

Take the line off and save it carefully, as part of the package.

But the less you do to it, the more valuable it is.

Even a distorted original screw slot would reduce value.

Then if you decide to sell it -- there would be no questions about the spool condition.

We need to see some different pics to advise you better.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

erikw

erikw

erikw

I haven't so much as taken a rag to it.
I'm sure the ebonite and silver/nickel could be cleaned up and shined quite a bit, but I don't want to use any kind of abrasive nor chemically clean one of the two materials in such a way that damages the other. Would appreciate some advise there.
thanks