5000c Mystery Part

Started by Ruedassamba, November 19, 2015, 04:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruedassamba

I purchased a late 60's early 70's 5000c from the bay. I've replaced the original drag washers with Smooth Drag Carbontex washers and upgraded the bearings to ceramic ABEC 7's. Its in great working order, but when it's comparing parts to the schematics http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Abu%20Garcia/Schematics/5000C%2076-02-04.PDF. I see part 8720 (spool centering cushion) which apparently looks like this . That said I have a spool centering cushion that looks like this . I was wondering if anyone could identify this part number.

Also as a newbie I'm wondering what difference a spool bearing makes when the spool actually make most contact with this piece?

Thanks again - you guys have been exceedingly helpful!

GulfOfBothnia

Hi,

"Also as a newbie I'm wondering what difference a spool bearing makes when the spool actually make most contact with this piece?"

I think spool shaft is not contacting part 8720. 8720 has slightly larger hole diameter compared to the shaft. It is also well centered to the housing by it's outer rim.

oc1

I think the the dog ears on that part are to put tension on the end cap (part 5224) so it stays put and does how vibrate off.  The schematic is for a much later model; hence the 4-point star drag and counter-weight handle.  I have a late 1973 5000c with the newer spool centering cushion.