Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Come on Chris, that's just over the top and ostentatious.
-steve

1badf350

Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2019, 04:56:25 AM
-steve
Why is it ostentatious?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere you go.
Model F
Model K
Model K with star drag.

Nirvana. You have arrived.

First year Fin-Nor is nice (Been there, done that, shipped that); but a full set of 1932 Penn prototypes can only be surpassed by the first Penn reel and there is only one of those found.................................<:O) I have yet to get a Model K without star. That's is because I am a barn find kind of guy and is it not too easy to find a barn with a Model K without star in it.....<:O(

milne

Been a bit dry of late, but managed to get another pre war reel, a 300 yd Long beach.
Already had one, but is a early 40's model, so was happy to add a waffle clicker verson, but I was more excited about the handle.
I luv these handles with the oiler in the end and the colour pattern of the handle is a beauty !!   well to me anyways...
She's not a pristine showroom model, but I've never minded a bit of Patina, may shine up a bit more after I clean her up...

Col

Maxed Out

Col, My mama always said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mike, that reel is massive and looks like 2 guys can reel at once

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Sure is a nice one Col. Im with you, I like those handle knobs
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

Love it,,,,, :D the reel has history and that's cool,,,,, 8)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I hear ya Col...that swirl pear knob is the business! I can't believe we have twins, mine even has the same lovely patina. Congrats on that cool reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Thanks Guys.

Mo, You've done it again ! that's is a beauty !!!  with even more swirl on yours, Wow.
I have a serious weakness for these.......

Col

broadway

Nice one Col... nothing wrong with some doubles here and there... especially when they have those type of handles. I'm with you, a big fan of those handles.
Enjoy her,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteBeen a bit dry of late, but managed to get another pre war reel, a 300 yd Long beach.
Already had one, but is a early 40's model, so was happy to add a waffle clicker verson, but I was more excited about the handle.
I luv these handles with the oiler in the end and the colour pattern of the handle is a beauty !!   well to me anyways...
She's not a pristine showroom model, but I've never minded a bit of Patina, may shine up a bit more after I clean her up...

To me, that is a high point of late 1930's design for the Long Beach. I feel that reel is a 1938 model. Those resin handles were sort of used between the old wood / hard rubber knob and the torpedo styles. I suspect Penn was searching for something permanent. I like to speculate about it anyways. Does that reel have the bridge oil port?

Rivverrat

Quote from: 1badf350 on December 11, 2019, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2019, 04:56:25 AM
-steve
Why is it ostentatious?

It's just not right for one fella to have 3 of them :D

In no way do I have the knowledge that you & others have here on old Penns. However I do know what you have is a level of Nirvana not achieved by many. Congrats !!

milne

Hi Mike,   Please excuse my ignorance, re Bridge oil port,,, I think so yes !.
           Was just about to tear her down for a good cleaning and greasing. Below is a better picture of the head plate, showing all oil ports.
        One of my other favourites as well is a this  green one from a 180 I am trying to fix up, there's something about them for me, I have a weakness for them I'm afraid   ........

Col

Maxed Out

Those are some sweet knobs, and not easy to find either.

I never stop searching for those oddball "non typical" Penn knobs.

One day my search led me to this late 40's long beach 68. No funny stuff, it's factory made 100%. I'd tell you how it came about, but it's a loooong story  ;D

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!