Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmagnum and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Crow

I wonder if those are some of those "rental reels" ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Penn Chronology

Those look like old reels that have had repairs with plates from other reels. Do not think they were built that way.

Benni3

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 31, 2020, 03:31:18 AM
Those look like old reels that have had repairs with plates from other reels. Do not think they were built that way.
Yes I think you're right about the first 1,,,,,, ;) the second one somebody Frankenstein 2 reels and put them on ebay,,,,,1 sold the one didn't the first time around,,,hehe,,,,,, ;D

1badf350

This one came yesterday. First gen 9/0 with external drag access
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

That is the first I have seen, Cool reel Chris !! When were they made with external drags ?    John Taylor

1badf350

Thanks guys. Im not sure John.  Someone else will know.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Alto Mare

Very nice reel Chris! I'm wondering on how the drags are set up,
the spacer sleeve appears to be much taller.

You're accumulating some cool stuff, might have to come over and enjoy your personal museum.
Maybe I could get there by boat, instead of driving all the way around. 🙂
Thanks for sharing bud!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

John,
    This is where Ted thrives, but if I'm not mistaken it's a 1940 reel. I believe it was part of the 9/0's transition from gen 1 to gen 2. They aren't rare but pretty tough to find.
Best,
Dom

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Hex head spool bushing and new style logo suggests this 1st gen 9/0 is just prior to transition to the gen2 configuration

Maybe you could open it up and see what gear set you have and drag configuration.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Someone posted a mottled Long Beach on the facebooks yesterday...reminded me of this sweet wartime mottled LB 60 that I assembled from parts given to me by Ted..."just as I found them." 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Gorgeous reel Mike!
Ted is definitely the Long Beach guy!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Bill B

Found these on a local digital classified's, a run of the mill Jigmaster 500 and a 505HS, for $30. Haven't opened them yet, but will probably swap the better chrome from the 500 to the 505.  I was able to save a 1/2 spool of braid from the 500, but whoever spooled it didn't know anything about winding on under tension, what a mess. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

You're a pirate, Bill, you'll have to arrest yourself :)

I love the 505HS- very under sung reel. I think I have a spare al spool for 505HS; Perfect shape, I'll send it out if you want it.