Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Can't help you with exact dating Chris ( everythings packed away), but your guestimate sounds about right....
But Hey,,  That looks in really sweet condition, Very nice indeed Sir..
Martin will be all over this, his mind is an encyclopedia !!! I'm consistently taking notes when he makes comments ( and others )  and you guessed it, my notes are with everything else, packed away.. ;D
Nice find..

Col

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
Nice find again - I reckon you are right in your estimate.
I have 2 1st year, 1938 4/0s, - I don't have that first gen, 1939 - 40, new logo style model to provide continuity. (this flaw in my character is one I strive daily to resolve!!)
I have three pre -war, 2nd gen 4/0's - the Hex clicker model with yardage stamped on the foot -"400YDS", wood handle, drilled spool, etc.
The other two I have always assumed were later 1941/42 models - no yardage, one with a drilled spool, one with a post.
That handle grip on your reel is very similar in size, shape and color to those I have found on late 1940, early 1941 #49's, and #149's.
So - as above, I would date it as a late 1940, early '41 reel.
I would love to see photo's of that 1st gen, 1939 -'40 model - they are a hard find.

Cheers
martin

1badf350

Martin is this is the 1939-40 you are talking about?

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

That's the same as one I have Chris, Nice.

Guy's, one of the hardest reels I've tried to find, is a non numbered 3/0 with box, been very frustrating, I've missed out on a few.
Just to fill a gap, as I didn't even have a later one, I got this boxed 50's version, as my stuff is packed, could those knowledgeable, give me a year on this one. It will stay on the shelf till I score a non numbered, it has line on, but is in pristine condition. I'll buy a more used version eventually as I'd love to mod one and use it......

Sorry to pop this in inbetween your question to Martin Chris....

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 08, 2021, 10:28:37 PM
Martin is this is the 1939-40 you are talking about?

Gorgeous reel, Chris!

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
Thank you - that's a truely lovely reel - Well done. Photo's of reels are great, but there's nothing like holding them in your hands and 'giving them a twirl". Every time I reach out to grab that reel the screen gets in the way!!
The photo's do raise a couple of questions - Is there any yardage stamp on the foot? - Penn rates the 4/0 as holding "400YDS' of No12 line - both my 1938 models have no yardage.
Also - that reel has a waffle clicker as found on most models until late 1939. Does that mean there is a 1st gen, early 1940  model with the 'Kiss" clicker? Oh no, am I missing 2 models?

Hi Col.
Thank you for your kind words - I hope all is well with you and your whanau.
That Senator box is a post 1955 box.
From 1949 until and including 1955 Penn printed "Fair trade Price" in the bottom left corner - after 1955 they just had "List Price"
Something else to note - that "Penn Reels" logo in the bottom right corner first appeared in 1952 - and in the first 3 years of the '50's the model No. was printed above the model name.

Martin

1badf350

Martin it does make me wonder several things about the order in which the 4/0 progresses.
We have non-marked stand/marked stand/unmarked again? ...
knurled counterweight/smooth counterweight/stacked counterweight....
internal drag/external drag/internal again...
Waffle clicker/hex clicker/kiss clicker
That said, I'm wondering if we should continue this in the "Penn Senators from the beginning" topic?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

54bullseye

Here you go !!

RHMinor

My first Gen 4/0

Crow

:o I wouldn't think there too many out there, like that !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

Wow that's quite an impressive first post! Welcome to the site!
-Chris

milne

John Taylor............Stop it !!

You just made me spill my coffee over my key pad   ;D

Beautiful Sir...

Col

Maxed Out

John, you are a show off....but me likey !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Gee John, cant get better than that, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

54bullseye

Thanks all !!! That is one of my 4 top Penn reels. I am gonna take some pictures of a little bit bigger one I think you will like this weekend.  John Taylor