Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Privateone, can you post some pictures of your find?  We like pictures and would help date you reel.  The 285 is a capable reel and will last a lifetime....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Quote from: TARFU on April 14, 2017, 10:43:07 PM
I'm thinking might be a shelf princess, drags are small for a reel this size (6-155). Depending on what I find inside there maybe an order coming you're way Fred for some parts...I'm kind of diggin the handle with clear yellow...Bill

Bill, pillaged one of 350's for some parts so I've the level-line bits, yours if you need it.

Bill B

Thanks John...let me open this one up and see what's inside...Bill

thorhammer

Np. I think I swiped gears dog etc but the worm and plates are all you.

Bill B

That would be great John...I'll pm my address again, and finally get the "dog whistles" in the mail going your way....Bill

Bill B

Holy smokes  :o.....my favorite on-line charity site payed off again.....a Surfmaster 100....$12.....gonna need a bigger display case, cuz this one is gonna get fished and displace something else.... ;D  Bill

Benni3

Nice reel and I bet you got a nice collection  :)

thorhammer

mo65

A 100 Surfy for 12 bucks?...excellent score Bill!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Guapo

looking through the photos posted realised a work colleague gave me a rod and reel..just checked and its a Penn reel bolted onto the rod.. don't know the name of the Penn reel but if anyone knows it please let me know or history if possible..reel is in need of a clean as well a service with no a/r present.

foakes

Nice old Penn 85 -- sometimes referred to as the "Seaboy".

Good restoration project --

If parts are needed, might have some for your reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

The 85 and 285 were probably Penn's biggest sellers over the years. They were the same dimensions as a Long Beach 60. They differed from the Long Beach in finish mostly - no trim rings, non-chromed parts (85), plastic vs. chromed brass spools, different handles and handle-fastening hardware (85 again, cheaper slotted screw handle nut, not scalloped). The guts are the same as the LB60. There is no shortage of used 85s or 285s in the world....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

El Guapo

Thank you so much..appreciate the time and effort

what a beautiful reel as per your collection pictures.

with time on my hands between work will give restoration project a real go..learnt from a similar old Daiwa sometime ago that the bars are not the easiest to reassemble when reel is stripped haha.

im excited and will have a look see at the schematics of the reel which i think should still be available,

Regards

sdlehr

Quote from: El Guapo on April 19, 2017, 05:29:59 PM
im excited and will have a look see at the schematics of the reel which i think should still be available,
Here http://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/85.pdf
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

These aren't antiques, but still deserving of a spot on a shelf IMO.

The eBay seller described the 2/0 as "shows signs of normal use" LOL, that was a lie, but I decided not to ask for a refund since it was only $40.50 total, and the poor description & pics worked in my favor for once !!!

The 3/0 was a few bucks more. I'm not in the buying mode, but just cant pass on a bargain.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!