Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Aiala on December 20, 2015, 07:26:00 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 19, 2015, 05:04:36 AM
Did you see that episode where they picked the old bait and tackle shop, and they walked right past all the old rods and reels without so much as a word? 

No surprise; those two nerds would rather buy a rusted-out gumball machine stand than a cherry old Penn reel.   ::)

~A~

:D :D
Life is Good!

Bill B

Ok New Era Math...1+1=700.....Finally won on an auction site that may rhyme with "GoodWillHunting" ::)...a Surfmaster 200 and JM 500..

Peeled off nearly 700 yds of mono from both reels...I swear I could hear the plastic spools groan as I peeled off full spools of mono..  :o

Opened both up to find a maroon spool that matched the side plates on the 500....and a badly chipped spool on the 200, but surprisingly neither spool was blown up under the mono....

But I did find something interesting on the 500...a square nut under the clamp post hex nut...but only one... ???

Well found steel main and pinion gears on both, and asbestos drags....gonna need a new spool for th 200, and debating whether to upgrade the 500 or leave as is....anyone have and idea on the 500 manufacture date?  Maroon side plates, maroon spool, steel gears, and amber (?) handle?....thanks in advance....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

That Jigmaster plate definitely looks old school. I Haven't seen one like it.
I would replace both those spools with aluminum or chrome brass at minimum.
Looks like a good score.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteWell found steel main and pinion gears on both, and asbestos drags....gonna need a new spool for th 200, and debating whether to upgrade the 500 or leave as is....anyone have and idea on the 500 manufacture date?  Maroon side plates, maroon spool, steel gears, and amber (?) handle?....thanks in advance....Bill
Really impossible to date the reel to an exact year without the box; but, yours is definitely an early Jigmaster.

Here is the 1959 Catalog introduction of the Jigmaster:

This is pretty much the reel you have pictured. Here is the reel from a 1959 box. Maroon with a white handle.

And the tail plate side, pretty much your reel:

If you put your reel in a 1959 box, you have a correct 1959 package. The Surfmaster is from the same vintage. But if you put those reels in a 1960 or 61 Blue box with metal corners, that could also be correct. But at least you have an early, first generation style reel. If you intend to use it, Then do as Daron says and upgrade the spool to a metal version. The plastic spools are OK, unless you plan on strong game fish. Those early lightweight spools were really meant for distance casting and will breakdown under heavy loads, especially with mono.

Shark Hunter

I have replacement spools for those. Either plastic or old three piece.
I replace them with stainless or aluminum.
If your going to fish it, They are a chance I don't want to take.
Life is Good!

Bill B

Thanks to all for the input.....nice additions to the growing family......Bill.....SH pm sent thanks brother...

Bill B

Picked up this JM 500 for $9.00, figured for the price at least I might get some parts from it, tore it down, vinegar bath and some chrome polish, and this workhorse has a new lease on life and ready to fish.  Brass main gear, steel pinion, and carbon fiber drags.  I debated on keeping the salt crust for steak seasoning.... ;D

All cleaned up next to a Live Bait Caster 259

Bill B

Beauty and the Beast......I got these two from a gentleman from Camino, CA, via an online classified, while talking to Curtis he told me is a cancer survivor with a double lung transplant. He looked good, said he can finally breath and is in the process of getting back into fly fishing, and stream trout fishing, but was sad to let this Penn Levelmatic go.  Just didn't fit into his fishing at this point, crap what kind of fishing is, after a double lung transplant  :o..after paying him for the nearly 100% condition 930, he opened the back of his truck and asked if there was anything else that caught my eye.  I rooted around an saw this 113 Senator (yes there were black plates under that dirt and dust) he wanted $30 and threw in the rod, which I will post in the Rods section later.  So I have the Beauty and the Beast, cant wait to open the Beast up.  I really don't want to risk any damage to the Beauty, but she's gonna get opened too, after the hands stop shaking from all the excitement.  I really wanted the 930, and getting the 113 was gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin pie.  ;D

On a side note, the 113 has two really thick asbestos washers, steel gears, and a bent spool shaft....gonna have to figure out how to straighten a bent shaft on a cast bronze spool...... :(

mhc

Quote from: TARFU on May 22, 2016, 06:07:04 AM
On a side note, the 113 has two really thick asbestos washers, steel gears, and a bent spool shaft....gonna have to figure out how to straighten a bent shaft on a cast bronze spool...... :(

You probably already know, but a long beach 67 stainless spool will fit, if you cant straighten the cast spool - or you could make a Grouper Special with a 66 spool if you have a YTS stand or frame.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Up to now I never had luck with bend spool shafts or warped spools on trying to get them straight again.

If you feel like wasting your time and give it a shot, go for it Bill.
If you are unlucky as I was, send me a PM and I'll get a new spool out to you... N/C .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Very kind of you Sal......pm sent, let me know what the shipping is and I'll get an envelope in the mail....just like the fellow pisanos do.... ;)....Bill

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 22, 2016, 02:24:19 PM

My 501 Jigmaster has this same tail plate. Didn't the 501 come out in '66? They must have used that plate for many years.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteMy 501 Jigmaster has this same tail plate. Didn't the 501 come out in '66? They must have used that plate for many years.

The 501 was introduced in 1965. Early models used the same side plate as the Jigmaster 500. As time went on the tail plates became blank and then stated Jigmaster with no model number. There are probably more variations than I am aware of. 

George4741

A Penn Leveline 350 and a Coronado:

viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Looking Good George.
Good to see you old Chap. ;)
Life is Good!