Shimano Tyrnos 20 - Tutorial Preview

Started by Bryan Young, January 19, 2011, 08:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Shimano Tyrnos 20

Here's a stock Shimano Tyrnos 20.  New reel maintenance performed to grease/lube what needs to be greased/lubed or protected, and to increase free spool time.

Schematics
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/05TYR20_v1_m56577569830615690.pdf

First thing, left side plate.  Remove the 4 screws (TGT0560) and separate the left side plate (TGT0839) and left side plate cover(TGT0840).

Notice the Loctite on the screw.

Take a toothbrush and spread grease around and add some to the clicker assembly in the left side plate.

Then, apply a think layer of grease on the left side plate cover, interior.

Remove the left harness lug (TGT0832), the harness lug screw (TGT0831) and the screw (TGT0546).  Remember which screw came from which hold as there are two different screws.  Grease the harness lugs, screws and reassemble.

Apply marine grease to the screw holes and screws, and reassemble the left side plate with the left side cover in reverse order.
Now the right side.  Remove the screw (TGT0773) and handle bolt (TGT0774), and handle (TGT0775).

Remove the gear shaft shield (TGT0776) and not the gear shaft thrust washer (TGT0777).

Set the drag lever in free spool the remove the pre-program dial (TGT0782)

Note the dial spring(TGT0783) and drag cam washer (TGT0785).

Now, remove the Lever Quadrant(TGT0781)

Then the two screws on the gear housing (TGT0792)

This will allow you to remove the Right Side Plate Cover (TGT0793).

Now, remove the right side plate screws (TGT0982).

You will be able to remove the right side plate (TGT0800) and the spool (TGT0824) assembly.

Remove the right  harness lug (TGT0832), the harness lug screw (TGT0831) and the screw (TGT0546).  Remember which screw came from which hold as there are two different screws.  Grease the harness lugs, screws and reassemble.

And place frame aside (TGT0833).
So now let's tackle the right side plate.
To remove the right side seal (TGT0811), we need to remove 4 screw (TGT0792 and TGT0980).

Once the right side seal is removed, the driveshaft assembly can be removed.

Note that this reel is provided with a drive shaft bushing insead of a drive shaft bearing.

To be continued...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spes

Hello,
Could you tell me if the break down of this Shimano Tyrnos 20 would be close to the break down of a Shimano Tyrnos 20II?

Thanks,
Spes

P.S.  eagerly await the completion of thes tutorial  ;)

Bryan Young

Everything will be the same except for the handle and main gear breakdown.  Internals will be similar to the TLD 2-speeds.  See http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=38.0.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

taz575

Thanks!!!  I was able to open up my Tyrnos 10 and get that garbage drag plate with the carbon fuzz on it out of there.  The washer measured ~44mm OD x ~14mm ID X 1.05mm thick, actually slightly over the 44 and 14mm's dimensions.  Didn't see anything close on the drag washer list, but I saw Alan used a TLD carbontex washer on a larger Tyrnos.  Any drag washers for other reels that I can trim down/open up to fit???

alantani

if the carbon is not falling off in chunks, you should be fine.  how bad is it?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

taz575

It was flaking off in chunks like yours around the screw holes.  The screw driver slipped and hit the disc and a chunk came off and just with rubbing the disc, it is starting to fray up.  I pretty much switch every reel over to Carbontex except for the UL trout reels so far.  Or should I just get another disc from Shimano?  I gotta order up some more parts anyway, lost that dang wrench for the Tyrnos handle and scratched that black nob up pretty good.  I would prefer a Carbontex disc to that junky Shimano one!

Bryan Young

If your reel is under warrentee, I'd go with shimano.  If not, Carbontex all the way.

alantani

i spoke to dawn this morning about this same problem.  if you call shimano at 877-577-0500, they will send you a new one.  make sure to tell them that you want it greased.  they should be able to do this for free.  if this keeps up, maybe it would be a good idea for dawn to make a drag washer for this reel.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

taz575

The drag washer looks like it was oiled or greased.  The material felt very spongy, kinda like how oiled felt washers feel; it is soft and squishy, not like the hard carbontex.  I think of CF discs as being hard, but this CF disc is soft for some reason.  I'll order up a new one from Shimano with the other parts I need and see what this one feels like.  I love this little reel, total powerhouse, but that drag washer is ridiculous!

Bryan Young

Okay, further delays.  Just spent the last 3 hours trying to complete the tutorial, and my system crashed and lost everything.  I'll try to restart when I have more energy.  Sorry folks.

deezydee

Keep up the good work Bryan, your efforts are appreciated, awesome site. :)

pursuit jp

i got very excited when i saw you guys had up the tyrnos , so i started to pull apart my 30 and 3/4 way through theres a comp crash :(  ;) any chance of finishing it off :) would love to take it out fishn next trip ;D. or i will just continue  ??? ;D

appreciate your efforts
cheers jason

edgarz

We're counting on you Bryan. Keep up the good work. ;D

rod27

great job....ill be keeping an eye on this

Bryan Young

Just noticed that I didn't finish this tutorial.  Will work on it in the next few weeks.  Forgot computer and will not be able to finish until I return home.  Sorry folks.  I promise, it will be done this month.