THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

It will be sometime around there, Dom. Like I said, it would be cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Ron Jones

You'd be amazed what we can fit down there. We're even taking women now. :D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Hey Ron, get a hold of the guy that orders supplies for the sub to order a portable fighting chair.  You're going to need it with the Tank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

We have a Mk 48 mount in the bridge that should hold it just fine. Be kinda fun draggin a fish around behind a nuclear reactor!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Dominick

I got this as a PM from Chris (Rothmar2).  I don't know why he did not post it here.  but it looks like the Tank is going to get wet.  Dominick

"Heads up mate, first trip with Tank on Wednesday. Striped trumpeter and Bluefin Tuna are the prime targets. Can use the Tank for both.
Hopefully have some success and something to post up to kick off the Tank's fish slaying world tour (sounds very rock and roll doesn't it!!).
Still to early for swords, but there are a few blues about. Fingers crossed."

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Dominick on December 14, 2015, 06:13:45 PM
I got this as a PM from Chris (Rothmar2).  I don't know why he did not post it here.  but it looks like the Tank is going to get wet. 

All good, the only reason why I didn't post here was in case I got a donut. I wouldn't have much feedback of value to post here if that's what comes to pass. Anyways, cats out the bag, hopefully have ripping 1st day with Tank!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

On way home after a great trip, for all you following this from the States and just waking up, an action filled day, with the Tank doing more than just destroying fish.
Full report and pix to come ASAP.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rancanfish

And so it begins...........

What a great idea Dom, I still can't get over how smart this was.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rothmar2

Finally got an opportunity to give the Tank the first of hopefully many workouts.
 With a decent break in the weather and calm seas forecast for southern Tasmania it was too good a chance to miss a day out at one of my all time favorite locations, Pedra Branca. At roughly 43degs 52' S, and further South than the southern most tip of Tas, this location is fully open to the Roaring 40's.

This location has a fearsome reputation for wild seas. In 2003 an oceanographer, who was part of a team studying the endemic Pedra Branca skink, was washed off the rock and drowned during a storm. The group estimated their camp was 45m above sea level......
More reading here......https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedra_Branca_(Tasmania)

So a trip here is not a decision to be made lightly, but fortunately Dec. 16 2015 would prove to be perfect conditions.

Our day started at 0430, where I met Simon the skipper at his place to hitch the boat up, and make the 1 1/2 hr tow to Southport, our launching location. We picked up another crew member, Ant, on the way. It was a misty, drizzle filled drive, but we knew this would burn off once the sun got up.
  Boat launched and over the barway by 0615, and so begins a run to Pedra that you never really know what the sea conditions will be like until you get out from behind the protection of South East Cape.
But today was as good as it gets, a wonky 1-1.5m swell had us eating up the miles quickly, and we arrived at the western end of Pedra at about 0730.

We were hoping for Southern Bluefin Tuna to be present. Traditionally this would be considered very "early" in our season for them. I was just about to deploy the second 'rigger line, when a rod goes off.....we haven't even gone a mile, Ant is on!
   First SBT for the day has taken a Halco DD 190 in King Brown colour, arguably the most consistent producer of SBT's in our waters, and it's a good sized one too. Plenty of line peels off a 24kg outfit. Straight away our blood pressure goes up, there are seals everywhere, and we assume this is going to end badly, and quickly. By some miracle, we get tuna #1 aboard without a scratch. The sea dogs actually would not trouble us all day, very rare.

Reset the gear and this time it's a double, one on the Halco, another a skirt. One comes unstuck, I get the other. It's a carbon copy of the first, it gets tagged and sent on its way. Est. weight 45lb.

I flip the King Brown onto the Tank's rig, and reset, we actually get all 4 rods set this time
But soon the Tank is on!

But the hooks pulled after a couple of minutes, bugger.
No big deal, the tuna are running hot, but we know this won't last, the sun is well up, and it's dead calm, the SBT's will head deeper soon to avoid the sun and sulk. The weather is now TOO good!
 However, we get another double within minutes, the Tank, and a 15kg rig. Once again, the hooks pull on the Tank after a big run with 20lb of drag.....mmm.
 The other has absolutely scoffed the lure, and it's hooked in its gills. We keep this one, another around 40lb.
  We tidy up the deck, and reset, another hookup almost straight away. This one gets tagged by Ant.
 We see a patch of tuna busting up nearby, Simon has a Penn Conflict stickbait rig, and wants in. 2nd or third cast, a huge boil and flash about  80' out, we see it all in the oily calm conditions, but the fish has hit at the end of a rod rip, and the strike is missed! Damn!
  We try for another 1/2hr, but the tuna suddenly go very quiet.
  The decision is made to chase our second target for the day, the very tasty striped trumpeter.
  They are generally found in depths from 100-500'. We target them with braid lines, and multi-dropper rigs, baited with octopus, squid, fresh SBT, or "ocean perch". We sound around looking for good patches, and drop the rigs down. I have the Tank now rigged for this, the JB hollow being ideal.
   A few marks are scoped out before we drop in 120'. I get bit almost straight away. The stripey fight is no sprint, but a surge to the nearest rock that they can find. Locked drags and skull dragging technique required. The Tank gives no quarter and I manage the first and only one for the day, a good eating size around 10lb.

Despite a couple of hours of effort, we can not tempt another. We find good marks in several other places, but only end up with rubbish gurnards and bearded cod. The only other boat out with us reports only one stripey for them after much more effort than we have put in.
  We fish on, gradually looking deeper and deeper to try and find some active fish. It is so calm, we clearly hear the sounds of whales and seals  breathing, flocks of mutton birds taking flight en masse to move to the next patch of krill to feed on, sound like a tropical downpour.

There are a constant stream of Gannets spearing into the water to pick off baitfish which are spread out over a wide area.

The ocean is really alive down here, and all looks good for another offshore fishing season for us, fingers crossed.
  Eventually we hit paydirt in 450'. A double hookup within seconds of touching the bottom, but these are not stripeys.....both rods unload within a minute. We wind the gear up to find a dropper missing from each rig....sharks. We get lazy and send the rigs back down with fresh bait, and nearly straight away, we're doubled up again, only this time when I put the hurt on, my bloody rod breaks!!!

And to add insult to injury, the line parts again!
It's time to get serious, we suspect they are school sharks, great eating, but have a row of small sharp teeth.
We re-rig with heavier leaders, and within minutes we are on again.

Simon first in with 25lb of school shark

And I eventually get mine even with half a rod (no spare suitable to re-load the Tank....fish on then!).

Ant goes on to get another, and we decide that's enough.
 We have one more quick try around Pedra with the tuna lures, but it's not happening, and we head for home about 1530.
  Back in, fish cleaned and boat on trailer by 1800, and now to drive home. A glorious still, cloud free evening to drive home. Great day!
 Now for a few comments. I suspect the hooks pulling on the SBT's can be put down to using braid, with a too-short a top-shot. SBT's shake their heads a lot, and this coupled with a very short mono toppy, and leader, total length approx 15', I think lead to the hooks becoming dislodged. I personally prefer to use all mono line when chasing tuna.
  Simon made the comment that the reel was "noisy", and I pointed out that this reel has SS gears, and that was a side effect. The drag was still smooth from start-up, and at the end of the day, that's what matters.
  I loved the Sumo Tackle shifting crank. I thought the slight slop in it would bug me, but in use, I never noticed it, the shifting is quick and easy, a great feature of this reel.
 Anyways, I hope you have enjoyed this first report of the Tank's world tour. I have this reel for about another 4 months, and will hopefully have a few more reports to file, before I pass it on.

Watch this space!

I'll finish with a few extra pix....

Dominick

Yay! Chris and the Tank come through.  Great job and report.  Keep it up.  Do I have to send you a rod? ;D ;D  That Tank needs a tuna stick.  Dominick

mhc

Great report Chris - you must be looking forward to the 'start' of your SBT season!
You have inspired me to get back on the water.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.